Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Gallimaufry

Thanks to Tracy Fells for introducing me to this word. It mean a hotpotch, mish-mash, heterogeneous mixture, jumble or medley. Isn't the English language great?

I picked these tomatoes this afternoon. My brother gave me the plants so I knew I'd have an assortment of different types.

My allotment is a good place for thinking up story ideas. I suspect that's partly because I'm so far away from a pen and notebook! I'm hoping my next gardening stint will give me inspiration for this poetry competition. I wouldn't have any trouble spending £75 worth of gardening vouchers.

Remember the erotic poetry thing I mentioned the other day? Well, they've used one of mine. It's not really very naughty - I dare you to be more daring!

I've never been tempted to write my memoir - a girl is entitled to some secrets ;-) If you don't mind telling all, or maybe just the 'best' bits, you might be interested in this competition. The prize is an advance of £10,000.

That's all the competitions you're getting from me today. If you want more, pop over to Carol's. She has several posts with competition news.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy, my wardrobe is a bit of a Galllmaufry, thanks for the links. Off to read your poem now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it describes the English language, that's for sure.
    And you took that photo? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patsy, please tell us how to pronounce that word. If we can't pronounce it, we can't use it, and it's a lovely word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dictionary says - gaeli'mo:fri but with the a and e squashed together to make a 'nasilized' sound. I'm not sure how much help that is.

      Delete
  4. Never knew that either LOL!
    I like the sound of that £10,000 but not sure about the memoir LOL!
    Thanks again for the competition heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I like that word. We are learning all the time. Thank you Patsy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder how many words we already know, Diane.

      Delete
  6. Nice tomatoes - they always taste better straight off the vine.
    Having looked at your poem - very clever BTW - I might even give it a go. I have one or two that are touchy-feely rather than erotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do send one, Lizy. I reckon touchy feely would be good for this.

      Delete
  7. Love that word - and the tomatoes look good! I saw that W&H comp but I think I'll pass. Good on the erotic poem - will have a look later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing memoirs isn't for everyone, Rosemary!

      Delete
  8. Tomatoes look scrummy. I do some of my best thinking mowing the lawns - I think it's something to do with right brain activities or as you say just being away from the pc and pen. Off now to read your naughty, sorry erotic, poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could be because we let the creative part of our brain relax as we do something that doesn't require too much thought.

      Delete
  9. I thought it was where Dr Who comes from..? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Gallifrey, Linda - a whole syllable of difference.

      Delete
  10. Hey nice blog and interesting posts:) got you from local Ad News, add me there and here we can follow each other:)
    http://augusta-tina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!