Sunday, 2 September 2012

Paint Me a Picture


Mavis Forthright carefully planned her jump from Portsmouth's Round Tower. She's existed for over five decades. Lived hardly at all. Will end her misery with a few second's fall into the cold sea. Except she's not quite ready to die. A half day's delay to try a bacon sandwich from the cafe won't matter. Mother's no longer there to disapprove.

She delays another day to lend Janice a book. Then a week to use her new paints. A month. Until the end of term. Mavis makes new plans; to create paintings full of emotion, to live, perhaps even make friends.

As if to balance her survival a number of people connected to Mavis die. At first that doesn't matter. They're people she dislikes. Mavis continues painting, tending her garden, feeding the birds and keeping her home properly clean, without additional concern. Then people who've been kind to Mavis are killed or injured. That shouldn't happen.

Why are people dying? Is it because of charming Norman who's back from her past, or is that strange boy Jake her mistaken guardian angel? Perhaps Mavis herself is to blame. She must learn the truth, stop the deaths and protect those she's learned to care about before she can enjoy the new life she's making for herself.

I'm going for a soft launch, so I'll whisper ... the ebook is available here.

32 comments:

  1. That sounds most intriguing, Patsy! And what a great cover Gray did. Good luck with your soft launch - but why not do a loud one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would, Rosemary but I've come over all shy!

      Delete
  2. Patsy - don't whisper! I'm sure it's worth of a big old SHOUT! Downloaded :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for downloading it, Linda. I'll try to build up my nerve for the shouting.

      Delete
  3. You've certainly piqued my interest! Sounds like a lovely read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's lovely, Linda - I could be a little biased though!

      Delete
  4. Blimey!! What a teaser!!! Yay for your Patsy!!! And good luck Mavis - what a mystery!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds fascinating - I want to know more about poor Mavis. I still haven't got a Kindle though. Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read it on your laptop without a kindle Maggie - I'll post more about that later.

      Delete
  6. Looks and sounds good to me -- go for a full-fledged launch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the understated approach isn't the best way, Milo. I'll try to be braver.

      Delete
  7. Ooh sounds intriguing. Good luck with the launch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hooked me - Good luck with it! But I'm Kindle-less too. Any plans for a paper version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it's a really long book so a paper copy would be very expensive to produce and I'd have to charge way more than I'm comfortable with. If I find a more reasonably priced option then I'll do it but not until then.

      Delete
  9. Hi Patsy - Congratulations - I was hooked too after I read the short story which lead to this novel - for those who don't have a kindle Linda D & Maggie May - neither do I - I downloaded it free to my computer - It's not ideal but it does the job.

    I'm off to Kindle store now to download a copy. Congratulations once again Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penelope. I use the app to read ebooks too.

      Delete
  10. I love the sound of this Patsy... off to buy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally intrigued - off to download! Good luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sound good Patsy, and I've got the kindle on my computer as Teresa showed us on her blog. Do you want to hop over to my blog one day and do a mini interview. I say mini because I tend to be a bit on the lazy side and don't like too many questions...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sound of this - refreshingly different - and I love the cover - shout it from the rooftops, Patsy :-) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!