Monday, 3 September 2012

Shaun Adams talking about Jack is Writing.


What Have You Had Published?
I started writing short stories at Writing.com in January 2011. After several months and a lot of support, I improved to the point where friends suggested I try to publish. I entered a couple of stories in a contest at Writing.com. The prizes included acceptance in a Canadian e-zine called Separate worlds. Both stories were accepted subsequently a third. Encouraged by this I began to look around the blogosphere for short story submissions. I have had a few success and inevitably a few rejection letters. By the end of 2011 I realised I had enough stories to put together a collection, so I began work on my first eBook.

How/Where was it published?
As I previously mentioned I had three stories published in an e-zine. Two (so far) at Thrillers Killers ‘n’Chillers, one at Dark River Press and I also had a story featured at Chris Allinotte’s Leaky Pencil blog for something he called ‘Nine Days of Madness’. The story was later included in an anthology of the same name available at Smashwords. Then there is my eBook called Jack Is Writing, which is available from Amazon.

Why did you take that route to publication?
I assume you are asking about my book. (Patsy says - I am!)I guess I enjoy the do it yourself approach. Many years ago, I published a music magazine. That was long before the internet and involved a photocopier, listening to demo tapes, doing interviews by phone and many trips to the post office. However, it was fun. Fun is the main ingredient for me and with a laptop all, the tools I needed to put together an eBook are right here in front of me, so the question really is Why not? I did have a try with a couple of other eBook publishers but I found Amazon to be the easiest to work with and they also have the KDP Select option which allows you to promote your book for free, five days out of ninety. I know that means you are giving away your hard work for nothing but it really does help to shift copies and get people reading. Right now, I am happy to settle for that. I would also add that social networking is a great way to advertise. I used Facebook’s event planner to launch my first free promotion in conjunction with Twitter and got a great deal of support from friends and fellow writers. (Patsy says - I 'attended' that event and it was fun.)

Usual thing - if you have any questions for Shaun please leave them in the comments and he'll answer as many as he can.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.

    Was the event planner thing easy to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joe :-)

    Pretty straight forward and worked well. If you are on Amazon KDP select choose the days you want to make your book free then click on "Create Event" on your FB home page to coincide with your promotion. Choose a name and add a description, date and time and invite your friends to join in. I stayed close to my laptop during the event, posting updates, answering questions, got a few invites to promote my book in groups on FB and on other websites. Post on twitter and anywhere else you can think of and then watch your book shoot up the popularity charts.

    I hope this helps hopes Joe and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing you need to put in a bit of time to make this work, Shaun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Patsy, and don't forget the time differences. I ran my promotion on a weekend, made sure I wasn't double booked.;-)

      But really, after all that time writing your book and getting it onto Amazon a little more effort is required to let people know it is there.

      Delete
    2. I can see a little forward planning would be important if I decided to give this a go.

      Delete
  4. Fun is what keeps me doing what I'm doing; even the "work" is fun when you love what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Milo. I am a procrastinator, so if I am not enjoying what I am doing I soon find excuses not to do it. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I agree too, Milo - but some bits are much more fun than others!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!