Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Tartuffery

I must be getting a reputation. Penelope emiled to say she'd seen an unusual word and thought of me. Tartuffrey is the behaviour of a tartuffe. It means to express beliefs and opinions you don't hold in order to disguise your own feelings and motives. It was created by Moliere in about 1664 - and I thought sock puppetry was something new!

What do you think about that? Writers either writing their own glowing reviews and rubbish ones for 'rivals' or paying others to do it for them? I worry that it devalues genuine reviews and it seems even reviewers agree. Do you take any notice of Amazon reviews (and the like) when purchasing books?

Maybe sock puppets should stop writing reviews and sub here instead? They're not looking for wholesome fun and morals.

Here's advance notice of a competition. I need the time to prepare! I've been shortlisted the last two years so I'm going to try harder and see if I can get placed.

Here's a chance to win books by Lee Child.


Yes I have socks with faces on and I photograph them. What's your point?

12 comments:

  1. Ugh. Sock-puppet reviews are at best pathetic (when said puppet raving about the author's own book), and at worst despicable (when tearing down another author's work). Maybe I'm naive, but I was honestly shocked to learn of the practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too, Linda. I can sort of understand why someone just starting out might be tempted to post a nice review of their own work - but established writers posting lots of them? And what's the point of being about other books? It won't help their own sales will it?

      Delete
  2. Ah but do you call yours Fred!?!?! LOL! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I just call 'em socks, Kitty. I'm not totally barking!

      Delete
  3. I'll glance at the overall rating but I don't read reviews unless they are all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to submitting something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word - from Moliere's character, Tartuffe, no doubt! Can't believe authors would actually post bad reviews of other writers and praise their own - nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the word but can't see the point of writing false reviews. Most are easily spotted and could have the opposite effect to that intended.
    Nice socks - plain ones are boring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great word! BTW I have written a post on the subject of Amazon reviews as I've just had a very unpleasant experience with them

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sock puppet business is a mystery ot me - somewhere along the line I wasn't paying attention! And tartuffery sounds like toffee tart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm and here's me thinking a tartuffe was a lover of those delish chocolate puds you get in Italian restaurants.
    Reviews on Amazaon - yes I do read if in any doubt, but to be honest get most recommendations for books from friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!