Monday, 22 October 2012

The Next Big Thing

Thanks to Vikki for tagging me in The Next Big Thing thingy. I've decided to tell you about my NaNo project - in the hope it'll make me feel obliged to actually write it.

What is the working title of your next book?
The Last Dream of Maria Rossini

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I wrote a short story and realised the story was too big for that format (not the first time that's happened) In that story, Maria dreams of murders before they happen and tries to get a hunky, but unconvinced, policeman to stop them. I wanted to have her running a restaurant, possible mafia connections, a romance for the policeman with the sexy Maria causing trouble, visits to castles, ice cream, a dog or a cat, or both, a few scenes of gruesomeness and other good stuff, but I couldn't fit any of it in. Writing a book seemed like a sensible plan.

What genre does your book fall under?
Welllllll, it's a crime story with supernatural and romantic elements. Or maybe a romance with crime and supernatural elements.

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
I don't know, but I will be requiring a lot of hunky policemen types and a few smooth Italians and a couple of girls. Who should I audition?

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
If only Maria Rossini would keep her dreams to herself, (insert mc name) could live a normal, happy life.

Will your book be self published or represented by an agency?
Hopefully I'll find someone to publish it for me. Not sure I'll go through an agent though.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
The plan is to bash out the whole thing in November. Obviously it'll be really terrible and need totally rewriting later, but it'll give me something to work on.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Too early to say as I've not decided how romantic or otherwise it's going to be.

Who or what inspired you to write the book?
No idea - maybe I ate too much cheese one night.

What else about your book might pique the readers interest?
I plan to kill lots of people in interesting locations (perhaps there'll be a body behind the door in the photograph?) and have my characters eat masses of Italian food. Naturally I'll need to do a lot of research for the eating part.

Anything else?

I haven't yet got a name for my hunky, crime fighting, pizza eating, warm hearted, main character yet. Any suggestions?


Now to pass this on to five people so they can share details of their next big thing. I'm going to pick on Travis, Rachel, Maria, Suzanne, and Paula.

And here's a little thing I wrote earlier.


38 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing, Patsy - good luck with NaNo! I agree it's great for getting the words down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. I prefer having a mess to work with than a blank screen and when I've not spent long on the writing it's much easier to cut stuff that I don't need.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting idea. Good luck with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annalisa. I'll let you know how I get on.

      Delete
  3. I'm kinda lost on the whole "tagging" thing? Sounds like a game of hide and seek. If I'm tagged on "The Next Big Thing", what am I supposed to do? Run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, didn't exactly explain, did I?

      What you do is copy the questions and answer them about your next writing project, then pick new victims to tag. You don't absolutely have to do it, but if you don't the typo monster might come visit.

      Delete
  4. Have you been watching Inspector Montalban!?!??! You should! You should!! LOL!!
    Yay for you Patsy!! I nearly called you Pasta! LOL!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Inspector Montalban. I'll look him/her up.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with NaNo. At least you have a story in your head to work on. I enjoyed your short story too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your answers. Especially about where your inspiration came from. Also liked your little thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I rarely know where my ideas come from. Shame really as people always seem to want to know.

      Delete
  7. This sounds great. I agree wholeheartedly, authors have a solemn duty to research the eating parts of their books very thoroughly.
    I love the title, too. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauline. You may be impressed to know I research the drinking part just as carefully.

      Delete
  8. That sounds wonderful, Patsy. It's a brilliant title too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. If I can write a book that lives up to the title, I'll have done well, I think.

      Delete
  9. Sounds intriguing Patsy. Thanks for the tag,I have already done this one fairly recently but I will post a link on my blog to that. Think November is going to be busy for you, best of luck with things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do any of you do NaNo and manage a day job? I'm full of admiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take my laptop and write in my lunch break and on the ferry to and from work which helps a bit. I don't watch TV in November and my cooking is unambitious. It helps that I don't have kids or animals to care for - that would make it almost impossible.

      Delete
  11. Someday I'm going to be brave enough to participate in NaNo... :D

    The premise sounds really interesting! I like it already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go, Samantha. You needn't tell anyone, although I think it helps if you do.

      Delete
  12. Like the sound of this. Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I did it last year and it was tough but fun. Make sure you stock up with snacks and have a comfortable chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfy Chair - check
      Snacks - daren't get them in advance or I'd eat them before November. Maybe Gary should be in charge of them and issue only after I've reached an appropriate word count?

      Delete
  13. Ooooo, I LOVE it! :)

    Good luck honey! You know I'll be on hand for moral support :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an exciting project for Nano Novemeber. Sounds really intriguing. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Patsy!
    This sounds very interesting! Good luck whipping out that first draft. I look forward to hearing more about it! (And that hunky nameless cop!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I'm quite looking forward to finding out more about it myself!

      Delete
  16. Another book to look forward to! Best of luck with Nano. I enjoyed your little thing too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with it! I'm doing NaNo too, but haven't a clue what my novel will be about yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, you have a whole week to come up with an idea. I'm guessing you're what's known as a pantster? Or rather I'm hoping you are - otherwise November will be tricky.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for tagging me, I've risen to the challenge over on my blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!