Friday, 25 January 2013

Getting started.

I seem to be playing opening line tag with Frances. Her post prompted me to invent a literary game (at least I think I've invented it.) I'm calling it 'guess the genre'. To play, just type in the opening line from a novel - the one you're currently reading or writing, or an old favourite. Then we can all try guessing the genre.

Here are a few to get you started. There all from books I've read recently and enjoyed.


A) Stella tried to ignore the aroma from the hotdog stand as she bounced along in time to the rock music blaring from the dodgems.   
B) "You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?"
C) You might think he could have made up his mind earlier, and been man enough to tell the others of his decision.
D) The old lady had changed her mind about dying but by then it was too late.
E) "Are you all right, Tam?" Cara's voice seemed to come from a long way away.

If you recognise the book you can still 'guess' the genre, but please don't give away the title just yet. I'll reveal them in a couple of days.

ps, if you use the opening line to one of your novels as your question, please give your question a number. Then email me with the number and a link to where the book can be bought and I'll include those in the answers.

Louise Wise is also running a competition connected with novel writing. For hers you are asked to write a 500 word short story, which could be a spin off from your novel. As a prize she's offering to buy and review your book and to feature you on her blog.

27 comments:

  1. Nice selection. Like Alex, though, I'm afraid I don't have a clue as the genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No? I thought a couple seemed obvious - but then I did have the actual books on my desk at the time.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. I look forward to hearing the answers! I may want to read some of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you feel like reading on then the opening lines have done their job, Rachel.

      Delete
  3. I'll have a little try! a) chic lit b)crime c) no idea d) humour e) romance. Probably completely wrong but I had a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read two of those, Patsy :-)

    Romantic fiction, Crime, Humour, Crime, Romance? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you might see something familiar, Teresa.

      Delete
  5. A) YA?
    B) Crime/Thriller
    C) Romance
    D) Mystery
    E) Fantasy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd, I thought some of these were obvious, but when I read the different guesses I do see why people have made them. Not that I'm saying you're not right, Clarissa.

      Delete
  6. a/Y.A.
    b/Crime
    c/Romance
    D/Crime
    e/Fantasy
    I like the sound of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be funny in my guesses, but my brain is frozen right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A) ROMANCE
    b) CRIME
    C) HUMOR
    D) CRIME
    E) MYSTERY

    PROBABLY ALL WRONG, BUT MY THOUGHTS.:o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I'll try to guess:
    A) Contemp
    B) Fantasy
    C) Sci-Fi
    D) Mystery
    E) Fantasy

    Thanks for thinking up this great game, Patsy! I can't wait to find out what books these lines really came from. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely recognise the first one so would say a) romantic fiction b) thriller c)contemporary or literary d)crime e)YA?

    I do think opening lines should reflect the genre but I guess it's not always that easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do all reflect the genre (once you know what it is!) but clearly they also hint at other genres too.

      Delete
  11. They all seem to be some kind of crim/suspense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do all have a tiny element of suspense or crime, Rosemary but it's not the primary genre for all of them.

      Delete
  12. Great idea Patsy :)

    Amazing what you can tell from a fist line!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few words can say a lot, can't they, Vikki?

      Delete
  13. The first line C) that has got my brain whirling on a scenario. Thanks, Patsy. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!