Friday, 18 January 2013

Poetickerrible

Remind me never again to offer poetry as a prize ... I've manouvered myself into having to write one about Rainbowmaker, which would have been bad even if she weren't a proper poet. She is, so I scoured the internet* in search of advice and found this -

There once were some rhymes they call limericks,
Repeated by smart men and dimwits,
They're easy to make,
A real piece of cake,
Until you get to the last line.

And then I set about creating Anne's, which goes like this ...


There once was a lovely lady called Anne
Who devised a rather wonderful plan,
to read in the nude
her poems so rude
(I hear Boris Johnson's now a big fan!)

Right, moving swiftly on, here's a poetry competition with a great prize - an Arvon course including travel. There's a twist to this one in that the title has to be a made up word. Reckon I could do that bit!

Hope everyone's coping with the snow. Remember don't risk being snowed in with nothing to read - panic buy my book now!


*well actually I just spotted it on Mike Francis's page and promptly stole it.

25 comments:

  1. Made me laugh out loud! Well done Patsy, on this limerick, but suggest you keep writing short stories and novels ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, glad you laughed, Anne! Yes, I think that's very sensible advice.

      Delete
  2. There once was an author called Pat
    The owner of Bagpuss the cat
    Fab poems she wrote
    to make us all gloat
    But I'm sorry -'cos I smell a rat!

    (Only joking, Patsy I love them!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts never fail to cheer me up, so thanks Patsy. Now I'm carrying around in my head the challenge of making up a word; usually that spot is reserved for a crossword clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L, if anyone has trouble making up a word they could always take a look at one of my first drafts - there are usually plenty in there!

      Delete
  4. Thought that was your word of the month for a moment there Patsy, great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made me laugh, Patsy! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd sort of forgotten to do those, Suzy. I'm so easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked it, Rosemary. Are you relieved I didn't do one about you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ew! Why did I have to picture Boris Johnson in the nude when I got to that last line. Now I can't stop. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick, Linda - cover him with his rumpled shirt, dark suit and cycle helmet.

      Better?

      Delete
  9. Well, it was a bit of fun, but you're right - it's terrible. It doesn't even scan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rhymes, Lizy - you can't have everything!

      Delete
  10. Love it, Patsy - you've made me laugh, thank you :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I love limericks, and that first one is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely true too! (the first one!)

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!