Monday, 28 January 2013

The Answers

The answers to my quiz are ...

A) Romance / Chicklit. A Year and a Day by Patsy Collins.

B) Murder mystery. Appointment with Death. Agatha Christie.

C) The Hundred-Year-Old Man who climbed out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonnasson.

D) Thriller. City of Bones by Michael Connelly.

E) Romance The Call of Home by Teresa Ashby.

How many did you get right?

Now you've seen that just one sentence can get a reader thinking, you'll realise it's quite possible to tell a whole story in 100 words. Luckily I've found competitions for exactly that.

Becoming a finalist in this competition will get your story included in an anthology, an extract of your novel read by Curtis Brown creative (who'll provide written feedback) and the winner will be given a place on the Curtis Brown novel writing course.

The winner of this one gets £1,000. You'll have to allow RD to publish your entry even if you don't win, but I shan't let that deter me from having a go.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the competition details. A hundred word limit is far from easy, but I may give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not an easy length - it is possible though.

      Delete
  2. I tried reducing a piece of FLash Fiction to 100 words for a competition last year - I was rather pleased with it but when I read it back it made no sense whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done exactly the same thing, Wendy.

      Delete
  3. Some interesting competitions you've mentioned here. I should try and find time to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Bonnee - there are good prizes on offer.

      Delete
  4. I'm really curious to read The 100 Year Old Man... It sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is interesting, Annalisa. It's a bit bizarre and far fetched in places, but still entertaining.

      Delete
  5. I didn't get any right. :) Oh well. They sound really interesting, though! I'm going to check a couple of them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, Rachel. I recommend A) ;-) (To be fair they're all good.)

      Delete
  6. Oh noes!! I missed the quiz! LOL!!! Do I get the wooden spoon?!?!

    Yay for these fab links!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that spoon is all yours, Kitty.

      Delete
  7. Failed miserably, never mind it was fun :-) thanks patsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was harder than I'd imagined it would be, Anne.

      Delete
  8. I found this incredibly difficult. Interesting you don't give a genre for c)... I've already entered the RD 100 words, always have a go and this year have a very good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I couldn't decide what genre to give it. On Amazon it's described as 'fiction' so it seems the publishers had the same difficulty.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!