Friday, 15 February 2013

Opportunities

If you want your writing published you'll need to send it out ... but where? If you've not yet been published then cafelit or runningoutofink might be good places to try. They don't pay but that does have the advantage that competition is likely to be less fierce than some other places (although it doesn't mean they'll accept any old rubbish). It also means they don't have to charge readers, so both are good places to head for if you want something to read.

Understandably many writers wish to be paid for their work, even if it's just a token amount. In that case you can try here, or here, or here, or here, or here, or here. Again these are all good places to go for an interesting read.

You might like to try AlfieDog who pay commission so the amount you earn will depend on how many times your stories are downloaded. It's an excellent place to go if you want something to read - the best short story download site.

If you're hoping for a bit more cash you might like to try Pages of Stories who've just reopened for submissions as Ficta Fabula.

I know opinions are divided about publication without pay (stand by for a post and interview with an editor on this issue later this month). One thing I will say before that is that if money is changing hands then it should be going toward, rather than away from, the writer. Other than competition entry fees, please don't pay to have your work published. If it's worthy of publication you don't need to do that.

Oh and don't expect anyone to hand you money, or a publication credit, on a plate. You will actually have to submit your work.

40 comments:

  1. Paying somebody to publish your work? Nuh-uh... that doesn't sound like much of a deal. I'd rather put it out for no-profit than lose money for it's publication. Thanks for these links, Patsy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Bonnee. If cash is going to change hands I want it coming to me, not from me.

      Delete
  2. They don't just send cash for thinking of story lines? Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you already knew that, Alex - it did take me a little while to cotton on though.

      Delete
  3. I was runner up in a competition and my story was published in their anthology. I was expected to buy said anthology, despite coming second - NO WAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound fair, Wendy. Even if the publishers can't afford to give everyone included a copy (which might well be the case) the winners should get one.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Patsy! Thanks for the links. I look forward to reading the interview you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links. There is also Alfiedog. 5minutefiction are not taking submissions for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alfiedog do pay - I suppose the fact that it's commission rather than a flat fee stopped me thinking of them - I'll add them in.

      Shane about 5minutefiction - I liked that site.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Patsy - hadn't heard of any of them, so very useful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Patsy, I've been polishing up a few tales for submission so these links will come in very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patsy .. you certainly know your way round these sites ... one day, one day I might venture there ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks, Patsy for the advice about links for publishing. I will duly check out each one! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. Hope you find something useful.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I prefer paid too, Tammy. Sometimes there are good reasons for subbing to a non paying site 'market' though.

      Delete
  11. Yay for all these fab links! Thanks Patsy!!!

    As my mum continues to ask: "why do you keep donating your stories to charity?!!? Why dont't you write something like 50 Shades of Grey?!"

    LOL! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a point, Kitty. You could try earning something from your writing. Maybe not another 50 shades though.

      Delete
  12. Looking forward to that post Patsy, it's a emotive issue :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for these, Patsy - there's one I haven't checked out before. Apologies that I've just mentioned CafeLit on my blog this morning - sheer coincidence as I'm just reading yours now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that publishing for free might have merits, but I'm not sure if I'd do it. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, Misha but rarely. Sometimes if I have a quirky little piece that I'm not likely to sell I put it up on Cafelit.

      Delete
  15. Great post, thanks. I haven't heard of most of these, so I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!