Monday, 24 June 2013

Guest post by Nicole Flockton


Nicole Flockton is joining me today to talk about writing competitions and her new book, Rescuing Dawn. She's offering a free kindle version to one commenter (if you don't have a kindle you can download a free app and read it on your computer) Over to you, Nicole.

Today, with the advent of self-publishing, our beloved contests are slowly losing traction and appeal. It’s a shame really because contests are a fantastic way to get feedback on your writing and they also get you under the eye of an agent or editor or in most cases these days, both.

I didn’t enter a lot of Romance Writers of America’s contests. I didn’t know much about them. I entered a few contests run by Romance Writers of Australia and, although I never finalled or won, but I found the experience really worthwhile. It’s a great way to build up your skin for when you do get published and you get reviews. Also the feedback was great and helped me to look at my work with fresh eyes.

Since I moved to the US and joined my local RWA Chapter – West Houston I’ve become well acquainted with contests, in particular the Emily Contest. This is a contest which is run by West Houston RWA Chapter. It’s a fantastic contest and has had quite a number of successes from people who won their category going on to being published. It would be such a shame to see a prestigious contest, like the Emily and many other contests, fall to the wayside.

I feel that contests are a great tool, especially for writers that are just starting out. Most of the contests have published authors as first round judges. The information these multi-published authors can give back to you are amazing. Even if you do decide to go down the route of self-publishing entering a contest is sure to benefit you all.

The West Houston Emily contest opens in September so you have plenty of time to get your entries ready. Here is a link to the special Emily website - http://whrwa.com/emily/

Do you have a favourite contest that you like to enter?

He helps save lives, now he wants to save hers.

Dawn Granger has loved and lost and it’s a road she’s not prepared to travel again, that is until her past turns up and has her questioning her resolve.

Andrew Holmes has sailed the globe numerous times, when he almost loses his life, he decides he needs to give something back so he returns home and trains as a paramedic. When he runs into his former sweetheart he is surprised to find an attraction he thought dead come to life. When he sees the sadness in Dawn he knows he will do anything to make her smile again.

Dawn tries to resist Andrew but their past pulls at her in ways she thought long dead. Can she trust a man who's run out on her once before? Can she risk putting her heart on the line again? Or will it all be taken from her again.

Read an Excerpt Read Reviews


Nicole Flockton

On her very first school report her teacher said ‘Nicole likes to tell her own stories’.
It wasn’t until after the birth of her daughter and after having fun on the community board of eharlequin.com that she finally decided to take the plunge and write a book.
The stories she writes are contemporary romances with either a medical setting or in the boardrooms of high powered business. Nicole enjoys taking two characters and creating unique situations for them.
Apart from writing Nicole is busy looking after her very own hero – her wonderfully supportive husband, and her two fabulous kids.
There will be a kindle copy giveaway of RESCUING DAWN to one commenter!

Nicole on the web: Website Facebook Twitter Author Page


26 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy!

    Thanks for having me here today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Andrew has his work cut out for him!! He ran out on Dawn!!? Dearie me!!!

    Awww lovely to meet you Nicole! Thanks for sharing your insights into writerly competitions - they do help build that all important thick skin and the really fab ones give really good feedback too! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Old Kitty - yep Andrew has a lot of sucking up to do! Glad you like contests and yep they also do help build that thick skin.

      Delete
    2. Ah so that's why I'm not skinny - nothing to do with all the cakes I eat, it's entirely down to all those competitions thickening up my skin ;-)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new release! I loved Rescuing Dawn and can't wait for the next one.
    I've only entered a few contests, but I participated in Harlequin's So You Think You Can Write last year and had an amazing experience. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Monica! You sure did do well with SYTYCW contest :) Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
    2. I've not tried that contest, Monica but I've had a good enough experience with the ones I have tried to want to enter more.

      Delete
  4. Hi Patsy! And nice to meet you Nicole :)

    I haven't participated in any contests yet but I'm planning on entering my current novel in a few to see how it does. I'm looking forward to the invaluable feedback and critique from them, if nothing else.

    Thanks for sharing with us :) Look forward to reading your work. Rescuing Dawn looks like a good, fun read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christi! Thanks for stopping by. Definitely try contests and I love the attitude you have. Definitely consider the Emily it's a great contest and the feedback people have got has proven to be invaluable. Good luck!!

      Delete
    2. Best of luck, Christi. My first novel, Escape to the Country, was published after I won a competition so I know it can happen.

      Delete
  5. I admit I've never entered a contest. I guess I skipped that step. Patsy is always good about posting contests though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Alex as I said I think I could count on one hand how many contests I entered. Some people find that they are the best things - others give them a wide berth :). Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. You seem to be doing just fine without, Alex!

      Delete
  6. There's a definite skill to winning contests, completely different to mags and very good practice at writing to a theme, I think. Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the deadlines one of the best things, Della - they mean I actually have to finish something.

      Delete
    2. Hi Della! Thanks for stopping by and yes there is definitely a skill to contests. The determination to do well keeps lots of people going.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thanks I like the cover too. It shows how my character is hiding from everyone!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah

      Delete
  8. I won a writing contest when I was at school. It was a school contest and the essay was on our school trip. Which was to some scenic resort in Co. Kildare if I remember rightly. I think I won three pounds, if I remember rightly, but the buzz from winning it was indescribable. I think that's when the writing bug started to bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo congratulations Maria on winning the contest how exciting. Three pounds was probably a fortune for you. I remember when I got given my first $20 bill I slept with it under my pillow LOL

      Delete
    2. I can see how that got you hooked, Maria.

      Delete
  9. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

    I won an Easter egg for a poem about swans on Carlingford Lough! :)

    marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Marion I bet that was the tastiest Easter Egg ever!!

      Delete
    2. Chocolate, Marion? I've never managed to win in any of that. I suspect those contests always get A LOT of entries.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!