Saturday, 8 June 2013

Lunch with my editor ...

... well sort of. I went to a workshop run by Woman's Weekly and hosted by the lovely fiction editor Gaynor Davies. Although I didn't share her table in the lunch break we were in the same room!

Cara Cooper very kindly met me at Waterloo and between us we navigated our way to the impressive Blue Fin building. Later I met up with Wendy Clarke, Tracy Fells, Amanda Brittany, Lindsay Bamfield, Karen Clarke, Helen Hunt ... OK, I'll stop with the name dropping now!

Well except to mention Suzanne Ahern who gave an interesting insight into writing serials and Laura Lonrigg  who we interrogated about the role of an agent and the state of the publishing industry. (I think some of us wished she'd not been quite so honest!)

I think the workshops are now all sold out, but if you do get the chance to go to one - or anything remotely similar I thoroughly recommend it. However much writing you've done you're likely to pick up a few tips (or be reminded of things you'd forgotten!) to have fun and come away encouraged and inspired.

As I didn't photograph my lunch you'll have to make do with a picture of my notebook. Gaynor says we must carry one always!

29 comments:

  1. Lunch sounds so much more refined than working or networking, me finks.

    For as long as I've known you, Patsy, you've been potty about words and writing. Now where have I heard that before? Seems a lifetime ago when you sowed your seeds on Blogster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've both been potty for a while I reckon, JJ!

      Delete
  2. Good to see you yesterday, Patsy, and name drop as much as you like! It was an inspiring day so why am I not writing a short story right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why you're not, Lindasy - but once you've found a good excuse please let me know so I can borrow it.

      Delete
  3. So what IS the state of the publishing industry right now?
    Glad you picked up some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grim, Alex, when it comes to short stories. Interestingly short story collections are reasonably popular in America but just don't sell over here. Can't think why there'd be such a difference but she assured us it's true.

      Delete
  4. Great to meet you at last, Patsy. It was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely time! :)

    And I totally agree about ALWAYS having a notebook!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often forget mine, Vikki and end up scribbling on all sorts of things.

      Delete
  6. Good to finally meet you in person and say hello Patsy! I'm definitely inspired to submit some more stories to WW and pitch a serial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you too, Tracy.

      I'd like to try a serial if I come up with a suitable idea.

      Delete
  7. Wish I'd been there - not least to meet you and everyone in person! Was it useful for writing stories for WW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Rosemary. We got a good idea of what Gaynor does and doesn't like. The bit about writing serials was great for anyone (like me) who's not yet written one of those.

      Delete
  8. Hi Patsy .. it's always good to be around people with whom you have similar interests, or who have a knowledge of another aspect of the business .. ie writing, publishing ... etc ... and you meet other fun participants too - sounds a good day ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Hilary. Just being around other writers is inspiring and seeing things from the editors point of view was interesting.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a great time... But what was said about the state of the industry? I'd love to know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting harder to sell books, Pat except for established writers. That's particularly true of short story collections.

      Delete
  10. A book of pots for plots, I love it. The publishing industry is the same as the retail industry I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Susie. If the public are cutting back on book buying to save money then the publishers will have to do the same.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like everyone had a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was lovely to finally meet you, Patsy. What a great day! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the write-up, Patsy. I'm going tomorrow and can't wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure you'll have a good time, Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like it was a fun, informative day. I've started taking WW again after a few years break, I'm enjoying the fiction again. The non-fiction articles are quite good to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!