Friday, 12 July 2013

Came as 'me', Left As 'We'



A year ago today I arrived at the Square Tower in Portsmouth as Miss Collins and left as half of Mr and Mrs Davies. The first place Gary took me (many years ago!) was to the beach in front of the tower. That stretch of beach and the towers which guard it have been important to me ever since.

It seems appropriate then that today is the launch of Came as 'me', Left as 'we', a collection of beach reads published by Alfie Dog fiction. Naturally my story, Swept Away is set on a beach. 


There's also a collection written by some of 'Alfie's boys', This Land is My Land.

Some of the contributors to these collections have shared their feelings on love or the sea.

Rosemary J Kind (the editor) has her wedding anniversary in the same week as mine and says, "We spent the time around our first anniversary in Nice, and stood on the beach watching the most wonderful Bastille Day fireworks on a floating pontoon in the bay."

Tina Burton married in '99 at Burgh Island Hotel. "It was the most beautiful day. We went outside after the ceremony and had a panoramic view of the island with lagoon blue sea all around us. whenever I see a lovely blue sea, it reminds me of our wedding day."

Suzie Hindmarsh-Knights is an australian. I'm soooo jealous of the Christmas beach BBQs she told me about. I've long wanted to do that myself.

Susan Jane Jones's contribution is based in part on her own love story. She parted from her husband but felt they'd get back together again - and of course she was right. 

Gill McKinlay lives near Southand on Sea. Every morning, she drives to work along the seafront admiring the view and thinking how lucky she is to have such an enjoyable commute. But as a child she spent the family seaside holidays curled in the caravan with a book. Her sister once remarked she couldn't even remember her being on holiday with her!

 Alice Parrant went with her new boyfriend to Brighton in mid January. The sea wind whipped into them and the waltzer on the pier made us both ill, but they had a marvelous time. Three years later they got married, so it was the start of something very special! 

Judith Bruton is an art lover who's nostalgic for the French riviera. 

Jeff Williams Wrote Coffee With Luna and says it's a mix of current trends in social media and young love on campus----the kind of thing I witness every day as a university mathematics professor.

Gary Helm tells me he's been married for 43 Years (not words as I originally typed!) and sent me a poem to sum up his feelings on the subject which ends 'To know, of all the great luck I had in life the greatest was you.'

Are you in love, do you love the beach, or are you just all at sea? 

38 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fab book, Patsy - but I'm still reeling, how can it be a year since you were married? Where has the time gone? Happy Anniversary :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem a year to us either, Teresa.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a great book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you both a Happy Anniversary, Patsy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the anthology and your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww happy anniversary!!!

    Gary Helm's been married for 43 words!! That's so surreal!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary - like Teresa, I can't believe it's that long! The collection sounds enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary; that year seems to have gone quickly. We've just celebrated our Ruby. Time does fly!
    We have a static by the sea, which is ever closer thanks to coastal erosion. Just love falling to sleep with the sound of the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary, Patsy! Chocolae or flowers? Or both...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry, Frances. (That is what I said I wanted)

      Delete
  9. Great post, and thanks for the link up. Good luck with our book eh? Fancy that, me having a story in the same book as you Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds another great read from Alfie Dog! I live only 20mins from the sea and would never want to live any further away. Love running along the prom, which always sets me up for a good writing day.

    Happy Anniversary Patsy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the running part, but otherwise I completely agree, Tracy.

      Delete
  11. Can I add my congratulations. The book sounds a great read. I wonder if Alfie is a real dog?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Patsy .. looks like a lovely set of stories - with tales to tell, and beaches to write about ... I love the beach (being an almost Cornishwoman! ... now in Eastbourne) ... and the South African beaches ..

    Congratulations on your year ... see you shortly and please bring a copy with you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing you, Hilary.

      Delete
  13. Our supper guests tonight were celebrating one year of marriage - they brought their six month old son with them! Congratulations - I hope it was romantic? and the sea? I stand and watch it every time I go down to the village to shop - it's so calming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our anniversary was lovely thanks, Lizy.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a great read. :-)

    Hope you had a wonderful anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary, Patsy, and congratulations on the Anthology. It sounds a wonderful collection of stories.

    And I love the sea, sitting on the beach watching the sunlight on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched a lovely sunset reflected in the sea last night, Sharon. Right after a beach BBQ prepared for us by friends. Not a bad way to spend the evening.

      Delete
  16. I've been reading this book over the last weekend and am struggling to see how some of the stories fit the title. Still enjoying reading, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!