Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Frangible

Frangible means brittle or liable to break. To me it sounds like one of those flaky pastry things which shatter as you bite into them, but not until after they've squidged a dollop of cream down whatever you were wearing.

It could also apply to the poor plants on my allotment as I think ours is the only town in the country not to have had rain over the last few days. 

Or even to that little burst of confidence that allows us to submit our work and which cracks at the mere thought of a 'thanks but no thanks' by return of post. Still if you want to be published you have to risk that. Talking of being published, how would you like a publishing deal, £5,000 and the support of an editor? If you would and you have at least 6,000 words of your novel written, this might interest you.

Stained glass is frangible. This example is hundreds of years old. It's lasted because it's surrounded and supported by the stone walls of Dover castle. Maybe there's a lesson there?


28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lovely aren't they, Suzanne? Especially old ones.

      Delete
  2. Frangible - what a lovely word - a new one to me! I can identify with the pastry association! 'I'll have a cup of coffee and a strawberry frangible please.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A strawberry frangible sounds like a recipe I'm going to have to invent, Lindsay.

      Delete
  3. Don't think I've ever heard the word "frangible" before. Once again, your blog is helping me expand my vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was at school I taught some of the other kids new words, Heather - I got into trouble for it back then.

      Delete
  4. Frangible - I'm going to remember that one.
    And those crumbly pastries are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That window is gorgeous and so illustrates what frangible means! And what is that yummy pastry? Franzipan?

    You've not had any rain?!?! Are you serious!??!!? Oh dear!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain at all, Kitty and the garden really needs it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They do have the disadvantage that people are usually dressed up when they eat them, Frances.

      Delete
  7. Frangible, it's a lovely word, Patsy, thank you. I'd not heard it before. I love the crumbly pastries and stained glass window too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah - you're thinking of frangipan - named after an almond-scented shrub that is planted near some bins in my shopping town and smells so strong that it almost masks the less pleasant smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of cream slices, Lizy. The ones with jam under the cream and icing on the top with a feather pattern on it. I do like frangipan too though.

      Delete
  9. Love that word - makes me think of frangipan flavouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond fingers are quite frangible, Rosemary.

      Delete
  10. Not heard 'frangible' before and made me think of frangipan (isn't that what you make for bakewell tart?).
    Just along the coast from you and we haven't had any rain either - my plants and lawn are gasping!

    Thanks for tip on Marie Clare comp - unfortunately my novel really has a male lead, but another main character is female so may have a go (well it is free...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frangible - that's what my franzipan flan is. It ends up in fragments in no time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, GREAT word. Frangible. Love it. Beautiful picture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patsy .. we've had no rain either, well a sprinkling .. now it's mizzing finally .. so some damp falling with a lot of wind!

    Frangible makes me think of frangipani ... an almond marzipan type filling and a tree .. but I'm having hassles with the internet this a.m.!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained last night, Hilary. I relief from a gardening point of view!

      Hope you get the internet sorted soon.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!