Monday, 9 September 2013

Got it covered

Climbing Mountains
Holiday Temptation
I've been making 'covers' for some of my Alfie Dog stories. (I'm not sure cover is quite the right word for a story download, but I can't think what else to call them.)

Well, it was either that or get on with some actual writing*!

Would you rather get on with actual writing? If so, this competition is perfect. First you write a story good enough to win, and then as your prize you have a workshop where you'll learn to write good enough to ... no, I'll stop being cynical. It's not a bad prize at all and at the workshop you'll get a goody bag of books and stuff.

Lest We Forget
Can't be bothered to do the actual writing but still want your name in a book?    Then this competition is perfect for you.



*Actually it isn't total procrastination. I'm still having photography lessons with the amazing Gary Davies and when it comes to anything technical I have to do things a lot of times before I get the hang of them.

24 comments:

  1. Great covers! That kind of thing can be tricky to come up with, so even though you're not writing, this is a worthy thing to procrastinate for, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the right picture, or thinking of something appropriate to photograph is the tricky bit, Heather. I have some unused pictures I think would make good covers - so now need to write stories to suit them!

      Delete
  2. I am so drawn to the Lest We Forget cover. It's striking!

    Thanks for the links to these comps too lovely Patsy! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a simple image works best, Kitty - but I'm still experimenting.

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit jealous! I'd love to take photography lessons. :) And I love your cover for Lest we Forget. Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting thing to do if you can, Rachel.

      Delete
  4. They look good, Patsy! You have a nice theme going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your photographs for your covers are lovely. This digital age is a bit confusing. Things are changing so fast..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are changing fast, Robin. It's good in a way as it means there are new opportunities but yes, it can be confusing too.

      Delete
  6. Does the lovely Gary Davies give point and shoot lessons to very stupid photographers who can't manage all the digital stuff and...live in Devizes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd tell you to get a digital camera, Frances. Then he'd make you carry his tripods miles and miles to earn the lesson.

      Delete
  7. Lovely covers, Patsy - I particularly like the Lest We Forget one :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be everyone's favourite so far, Teresa.

      Delete
  8. Hi Patsy, I'm drawn to the mountain one, are they the North Wales mountains? Of course the significance of the poppies would be the best selling one I think. They're all beautiful, good idea, I also like that nice cup of tea one on Alfie dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy. Actually the mountain one is in Nauplia (Greece) I was surprised how green it was there.

      Delete
  9. Stunning covers, Patsy. Is Gary a good teacher or are you a quick learner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the hang of this hasn't been quick, L!

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of using my own photos as covers. Those are lovely Patsy :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed a good plant to me, Vikki. Glad you like them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!