Sunday, 15 September 2013

How to Eat Loads and Stay Slim


Today I'm joined by Della Galton and Peter Jones who've come to tell me how they came to write How to Eat Loads and Stay Slim. (I've got a copy of this and I'm doing really well with the eating loads part!) They're sharing a healthy dessert recipe too. 

So come on then, what's the story behind the book?

Peter - Anybody who knows me intimately will tell you that two of my greatest passions in life are eating, and writing. So you might assume that after some careful deliberation I chose to write (my half) of How To Eat Loads and Stay Slim out of a desire to combine both interests. You'd be wrong.

Some time ago I was chatting to friend and fellow author, Della Galton, about what sells books. We both agreed that a good title is critical. Good titles sell books. Take for instance my first book - 'How To Do Everything and Be Happy'  - that, so Della told me, is a very good title.
"In fact the only way it could have been better," said Della, "was if you'd called it something like How To Eat Loads And Stay Slim"
"That is a good title," I admitted. "though not really anything to do with happiness!"
"Well, I wouldn't say that," said Della.
"Fair point" I conceded.
"Actually," I said, my inner nerd waking up to the possibility of some serious geekiness, "weight management is something that I have some experience in."
"Really?" said Della, "So do I."

Della - Yes, I remember that - although if you'd warned me how seriously whacky some of your weight control ideas are, I might not have been quite so enthusiastic about proceeding with this book. I mean, I have a reputation to maintain!!!  OK, that last remark is a little tongue in cheek but seriously - some of your theories are pretty 'Out There'.  At least they are to someone who comes from a traditional sensible dieting background like myself. 

But I was intrigued enough to hear you out. I thought I knew everything there was to know about losing weight and staying slim. It turned out, I didn't!

Actually, this may sound odd, but one of the reasons I wanted to proceed with this book was because I felt our different perspectives would make very entertaining reading…

Peter - Excuse me! My ideas aren't 'wacky'! I'm just fed up with the notion that only way to lose weight is to either eat less and move more. Even you've got admit that they're soul-destroying ways of managing your weight. I was convinced there had to be a smarter way. Turns out there is. OK, the stuff about the 'fatometer' is a little strange - but the science behind it is completely sound and has actually been around for the best part of fifty years. The only reason why nobody knows about it (as far as I can see anyway) is because there isn't any money to be made from educating people on how the body actually controls hunger, and the bottom (the huge wobbly bottom at that) might fall out of the slimming industry if people actually knew.

Anyway, it's up to the reader how 'out there' they want to be isn't it? It's not like we haven't given them enough ideas to pick from!

Della - True - we certainly have mentioned lots of ways our readers can eat loads and stay slim. But whilst I admit your geeky ideas are all 'grounded in science', so are mine. What exactly have you got against fat free healthy eating anyway, Mr Jones - especially as you know we share the same abhorrence of bland, flavourless foods? I don't remember you turning your nose up at my fat free quiche.  "Absolutely delicious," I think were your exact words.  And while we're on the subject of fat free versus whacky, can I just ask which of us is actually the slimmest, slenderest, thinnest, smallest-waisted, and most petite? I think you'll find it's me. Not that I'm being competitive. I don't have a competitive bone in my body - as well you know ;)

Peter - I haven't got anything against healthy eating at all! Quite the reverse in fact. I just think that 'fats' have been unfairly demonised. It's 'hunger' that's the enemy - in my humble opinion. And might I remind you Ms Galton that despite your scorn you have eaten quite a few of my geeky dishes on several occasions - and finished the lot I might add! And I can't think of anyone who would be more qualified to write a book entitled "How To Be Competitive About Everything"!

Della - Now that's not a bad title for a book, not bad at all…

LIKE us on facebook, or pop by howtoeatloadsandstayslim.com for more details. Click here to buy the book.


Recipe
Fat Free Jellies with Fruit and Yoghurt - serves four
These are rather lovely for a summer afternoon dessert - or for any other time of year come to that.


Ingredients
400 g Strawberries (fresh cherries work really well too – de-stone them first)
200 g Blueberries
2 fat free strawberry yoghurts (or cherry if using fresh cherries) I use Muller light or M&S Count on Us range
1 sugar free strawberry jelly – made up as per instructions

To serve – four knickerbocker glory dishes.
Method
Prepare fruit.  Hull and chop strawberries. (reserve four for decoration). Place in bottom quarter of knickerbocker glory dishes.
Make up jelly as per instructions. Pour jelly mix over fruit to cover.
Layer remaining fruit with yoghurt.
Then top up with remaining jelly mix.
Refrigerate till set – about 1 and a half hours.
Garnish with remaining strawberries.

Enjoy!  The beauty of these is that they are fat free - so if you don't happen to have any guests coming round, you can have more than one - and it's not often you can have more than one dessert and not feel guilty! Oh and by the way, the little glass dish in the picture is leftover fruit and jelly - just in case you want to eat even more guilt free dessert!



24 comments:

  1. 'I've got a copy and am doing well with the eating loads bit' ha ha Patsy. That made me laugh before I'd even read Della and Peter's interview! Geeky versus sensible sounds a good combination in a self help book. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had it long enough yet for it to make me slim, Wendy but I have started following some of the advice.

      Delete
  2. I'll look forward to picking up a copy - great interview! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy read, Amanda and contains some good ideas (and some whacky ones)

      Delete
  3. Love the amusing interview and it sounds like a great book to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great concept, isn't it, Rosemary?

      Delete
  4. Thanks guys, and thanks Patsy for having us on your blog. Great excitement this week as we were on the Steve Wright show talking about how to eat loads and stay slim. You can hear it on our website. :) woo hoo. xx
    this is from Della by the way, not 'anonymous'. Having a few technical problems :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK, Della you've not got so slim we can't tell it's you ;-)

      Congrats on that interview!

      Delete
  5. I need to check out their book, even though I do eat healthy and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat healthily too, Alex - it's just I eat other stuff as well.

      Delete
  6. This book sounds interesting.

    Love the look of this recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a proper dessert, doesn't it, Misha?

      Delete
  7. Great interview Patsy and thanks to Della and Peter. I have this on my Kindle - reading (and eating) is still in progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read it all, Tracy. Trying out some of the ideas now.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a great book! (I'd be good at the eating loads part, too, Patsy.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, and I'm looking forward to tucking into the book :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's as bad as one of my puns, Karen. I love it.

      Delete
  10. I need to get this book, as the title is a sentiment that I totally wish was true when it comes to me. I love my food! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Leandra. Well I love my food, I'm not so greedy I'd steal yours.

      Delete
  11. LOVE this book! :)

    Great interview guys!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love food, Leandra, you can definitely eat loads and stay slim. I regularly put up pictures of what I'm having for breakfast, lunch etc on the how to eat loads and stay slim fb page. If you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!