Friday, 13 September 2013

Paraskevidekatriaphobia

I know it's not Wednesday, but today seemed the perfect opportunity to introduce the word Paraskevidekatriaphobia to those who don't already know it. As it's not Wednesday I'm not giving you the definition - but I think you can work it out.

So, how's everyone feeling today? Happy and full of enthusiasm or staying safely under the duvet, well away from mirrors, black cats and ladders?

If you're feeling optimistic you could write something for this short story competition. The organisers do say submitting can be nerve wracking, but you won't let a little thing like that put you off, will you?


20 comments:

  1. I once won a first day cover (for those not old enough to know it was an envelope with new stamps on) at school on Fri 13... So of course it is a super lucky day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they still do them, Wendy so you're not giving anything away.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can't even imagine how one would pronounce that word... o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me three goes just to type it, Heather.

      Delete
  3. It's a phobia of parakeets! LOL!! Happy Friday lovely Patsy!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't even registered the date, but I like the number 13, Friday or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have taken much notice of the date if I hadn't wanted to use the word, Rosemary.

      Delete
  5. A wordy friend of mine has just posted that Friggatriskaideskaphobia means the same thing - Frigg was a Norse Goddess whom Friday is named after. I'm sure she won't mind me sharing that with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, Maggie - interesting. Not really any easier to say though.

      Delete
  6. Now please record yourself saying it, Patsy. We need to know what it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes something like this, Frances; Para-cough-mumble-cough-phobia.

      Delete
  7. That word is so big, it's scary - or German, 'cause they really have some long ones! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very long words in German, Lexa. Maybe they just want to prove English isn't the hardest to learn?

      Delete
  8. Great word. I did not hide under the covers yesterday, but I wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stayed in all day, just to be on the safe side ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!