Monday, 28 October 2013

E J LAmprey


Today's guest is E J Lamprey. I've invited Elizabeth to tell me a bit about her latest book and how she came to write it.

Elizabeth says - Statistically there are more people over fifty getting married than ever before and the senior singles market is thriving. My latest whodunit gleefully dives into the murkiest end, where the predators lurk, and has a bit of fun with on-line dating. I’m not saying it’s the most dangerous, but it’s very popular. Anyway, as I write novellas, with only forty thousand words (give or take) to set my story and solve my murders, a narrow focus is essential! 

It is also the only type I’ve tried in recent years (oh yes, still trying – optimism will always trump experience) and I’m a great believer in sticking to writing what you know.  Anyone who has computer-dated will remember the combination of hope and nervous laughter; at least you survived, eh? 
When the police start investigating alarming irregularities into the senior singles on-lining dating world, Edge is asked if she’d be the dating face of the investigation. She’ll be monitored at all times, so no there’ll be no danger at all … 

This is the third book in a series of cheerful murder mysteries tackled by the ‘villagers’ in a retirement village in Scotland.  The first kicked off with the murder of an unpopular resident. As the blurb puts it, the police could do with some inside information, and fortunately Sergeant Kirsty Cameron’s slightly eccentric aunt is right on the spot.  Helping the police solve the murders in One Two Buckle My Shoe involved Edge’s friend Vivian, and forged new friendships with bon vivant William, and the sardonic Donald. The friends enthusiastically waded into investigating a couple more murders in Three Four Knock On My Door, and thoroughly enjoy the social side of Five Six Pick Up Sticks.  

The books are clean as a whistle, lightly Scottish, and the attentive reader should solve the case a beat ahead, or a beat behind, the amateur detectives. They’re weekend reads, cheerful and carefully plotted, and if you enjoy them I’d love you to leave a review.  

I live on the Firth of Forth near Edinburgh, and my daughter is getting married next spring.  I suspect there’ll be a wedding in one of the next books as it seems to be taking up a huge amount of my thoughts, even though she’s doing most of the organizing! I’ve lined up three mother-of-the-bride outfits (thank you eBay) so that whatever the winter throws at what was once my figure I will be dressed. One is too big, one is too small, and one is just right – call me Goldilocks. 

I’m on Twitter as Elegsabiff, have a blog called Quite Contrary, and a Facebook page for E J Lamprey – if you ‘like’ the page, please leave your own page url posted as a comment so I can return the favour. 

Thank you Patsy for this invitation, loving your work and have been known to giggle helplessly on the train when reading you! 

Patsy Says - Aww, thanks, Elizabeth. Your book sounds like it will be lots of fun too. Get Five Six Pick Up Sticks here.

25 comments:

  1. Phew - glad I exited the dating game before I reached the big five O! The book sounds interesting, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I think I even scared myself off trying again. Did you exit with a win or just decide there were more fun alternatives?

      Delete
  2. Oh I like the titles of the series! And as for online dating ... oooh it really opens itself up to all sorts doesn't it! Lovely to meet you and read about your novellas Elizabeth! Huge congrats to your daughter! Enjoy your ebay shopping. :-) Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And the next book may be on indefinite hold while I try to work out a way I can work 'lay them straight' into a murder plot - I'm very tempted to cheat and go with 'play it straight' ... something to think about AFTER the wedding. :)

      Delete
    2. I like the names too, Kitty.

      Elizabeth, maybe the killer is an undertaker so he lays them out straight after doing them in?

      Delete
    3. Patsy, it'll have to be that or the little cheat. Trouble is, I know nothing about undertaking and I do try to stick to stuff I know. Apart, of course, from murder. No first-hand experience there...

      Delete
  3. The series sounds lovely. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does sound good, doesn't it, Misha. (Confess I haven't got round to reading them - yet)

      Delete
  4. A retirement village in Scotland? Now that is an original setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not one I've come across, Alex.

      Delete
  5. I don't know anything about online dating, but my sister met her current husband online.
    I thought she was crazy back then, but she is now happily married to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's how my mum met her partner too, Julia. It obviously does work for a lot of people.

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant idea for a setting. I'll be taking a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one I think, Keith.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Keith! The Lawns has become so real to me it always surprises me slightly to drive down that road and see cauliflowers growing there instead :)

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant idea for a setting. I'll be taking a look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth - I'm also in Scotland (west coast). Love the sound of your novels and the setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, a glitch in my systems, grr. I'd love to hear what you think if you try the series :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, and hope you'll come over and visit one of these days :)

      Delete
  9. I do like the idea of a 'cheerful murder mystery'! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since been told that the correct term is cosy - or cozy, depending what country you're writing in - rather than cheerful, but anyway, I did try to stay away from doom, gloom, gory and bloodspattered scenes, my characters are very unfashionably enjoying themselves most of the time. When not actually confronted with murder, anyway. :)

      Delete
  10. I've only just realized the responses I posted weren't coming through for some odd reason but have replied again, hopefully this time my Wordpress identity will be recognized. Blog websites should definitely be more interactive! (Although it might have been me, computers have been known to outwit me all too often.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!