Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Keep going

Keep is a good word (not least because it gives me another chance to post a photo of a castle - do you know which one?)

It means to continue to have something, to save something for future use, store in a regular place (we keep The Sphere in the garage), continue in a particular position or activity (she kept her head down) or to remain in good condition (fresh bread doesn't keep very long). It can also mean to do something you promised to do (I keep my promises) to provide accommodation and food - or the money for those things (he earns his keep)

If you have a friend with enough money you could be a kept woman. You might want to keep up to date, or with the Jones'. Or perhaps you'll attend keep fit classes (which generally means get slightly less unfit rather to maintain an existing state of fitness in my experience) and of course it's the strongest part of a castle.

Not bad for just four letters, eh?

31 comments:

  1. Which keep is in the photo? Those are my favorite kinds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're supposed to guess, Alex - not living in the UK might give you a slight disadvantage though.

      Delete
  2. 'Keep' up the good work with your competition information, Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Patsy!
    I love the word keep.
    Keep going!
    I will keep looking for free contests and will let you know if I find any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure but would one of the Bronte's give us a clue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might well do, Rob. (Reader, I think he's guessed)

      Delete
    2. Yep. We went in, but sadly there's not much left inside, except for a lot of steps.

      Delete
  5. I will keep a note of these competitions, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You keep coming up with these competitions, Patsy and I keep forgetting to enter any - and isn't it funny how when you keep using a word over and over it starts to sound weird (or is that just me?) :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repeated words do sound odd, Teresa. It's not quite so bad with short ones, but they all go weird eventually.

      Delete
  7. Great links to the free competitions, Patsy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep those beautiful castles coming... Keep entering and win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can oblige with the pictures and entries, Michael - not doing so well with the winning part, but I'm trying.

      Delete
  9. That's a lovely castle photo, Patsy. There's something magic about castles, I always think...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice post. Sometimes it's the simplest words that pack the most punch. :) And I love the castle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep is one of those words we keep using in different ways. Good luck with the contests!

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very useful word, I must keep it in mind ...
    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very useful word, I must keep it in mind ...
    Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to keep following your blog, Patsy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!