Monday, 16 December 2013

Chain Reaction

Samantha Tonge (author of Doubting Abbey) has suckered me into a chain blog thing. Thanks sooooo much, Sam! ;-)

First I have to answer four questions. Here goes.
1)     What am I working on?
Well, I thought I'd concentrate on my novel, so naturally I've come up with lots of short story ideas! I've given in and am writing them.

2)     How does my work differ from others of its genre?
That's tricky when writing, as I do, mostly for women's magazines. The stories do have to be original and not the dreaded 'well worn themes' but they can't be too different or they'll not be suitable for the magazine. To achieve this I try to look at things from a less obvious angle and to write about situations the reader may not have experienced, yet can still relate to.

Character is the most important thing, I think. If the character is believable and the story is theirs then it shouldn't feel like we've heard it before.

3)     Why do I write what I do?

 Because those are the ideas that come to me.

4)     How does my writing process work?

I get an idea and write it directly onto the computer as soon as I can. Then I'll go through correcting and improving. That stage is repeated until I feel it's as good as I can get it. Feedback from writing friends helps a lot with spotting areas which need work.

Now I select three victims. They are -

Wendy Clarke is a short story writer. Her stories have been publishes in The People’s Friend, Take a Break Fiction Feast and Woman’s Weekly.


Sheila Crosby started writing ats chool in Leeds and never stopped. She's published 50 short stories, including an anthology of quirky science fiction, “The Dodo Dragon and other stories” Sheila went to La Palma in the Canary Islands with a six month contract, met a tall dark handsome Palmeran in the Isaac Newton telescope and has stayed for 22 years so far.  Last year she published “A Breathtaking Window on the Universe: A guide to the observatory at the Roque de Los Muchachos”  “The Seer's Stone: 12 stories inspired by La Palma's starry skies”, will be on sale in January.

Susan Jane Jones is a fellow Alfie Dog author. She writes short stories and articles and is working on a novel, 'Hats off to Love'. You can visit her website here, buy her stories here and more here.

Do vist their blogs next week.

Phew, that's that done.

22 comments:

  1. No, same idea but it's this one - http://www.360cities.net/image/sandbanks-chain-ferry-poole#358.60,0.30,70.0
    (Look carefully and you can see me, plus backpack, in that image.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I popped over to Susan Jane Jones' blog. A very interesting comment she made a little while ago was the fact that she had started to follow various blogs, but had lost interest when they didn't respond to her comments. This is one of the reasons I follow you Patsy, and one or two others, who I know will respond. I know you are all very busy writing and doing other things, but it is important to show an interest in your followers. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to reply, Maggie. If I got hundreds of comments, as some bloggers do, then I might not be able to reply individually to every one, but I'd still want to do as many as I could.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha - thanks, Patsy... now as your punishment I expect you to be my first commenter when I take my turn at the blog thingy next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to look in - if just to check you've done it!

      Delete
  4. If you are prompted by the short stories, then go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no good fighting these things, Alex.

      Delete
  5. Love the pic - like some octupus tentacle tugging at something!!

    Yay for your fab Q&A! And yay too for your even more fabulous writing processes and amazing ideas and discipline (writing different but women's mag friendly stories is a skill only the very few like yourself are able to do with panache! Am in AWE!!)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty, I'm going to create a cocktail called panache, just so I can do everything with panache!

      Delete
  6. Ha, ha, hope you enjoyed your participation, Patsy :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not have been quite as bad as I made out, Sam.

      Delete
  7. Great answers!

    I'm lucky, these days. Even if I get new ideas, my muse lets me work on my main project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with you about characters. No matter how amazing a story is, if the characters fall flat, then everything falls flat, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree on characters, Patsy, and I'm having the same issue with my novel. Short stories give such immediate satisfaction don't they? Hard to kick the habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impossible to kick the habit in my case, as I have no intention of trying, Tracy.

      Delete
  10. Hey Patsy, hello, and thanks for the mention. Now must pull my socks up, or fancy tights up and find some suspects to continue the chain blog......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneak up on 'em when they're distracted, Suzy.

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed your post, Patsy, and agree about characters - I'm trying to avoid doing all the chains at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind doing a few, but they seem to come in waves, don't they?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!