Friday, 28 February 2014

A dizzying array of short stories

Short stories seem to be gradually becoming more popular again. Huzzah!

If you've had a collection of them published recently you may be interested in this award or even this one. I'm not sure my collection is suitable for either of them, but I'm in favour of anything that takes short stories seriously.

Perhaps you'd rather read short stories than write them, if so take a look at Alfie Dog fiction. There are over 12,000 to chose from! If that seems a mind boggling selection, maybe you'd like to start with a few freebies.

I was going to post a photo of someone with a boggled mind, but I can't be absolutely sure my brother doesn't read this blog, so instead here's an image of the exact spot where my beloved husband proposed.
Promenade Deck. MV Minerva

14 comments:

  1. How very romantic. Mine was less so. I think it was a leap year, and I did the proposing, but as we've been married for nearly 49 years, I guess it worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more important things in marraige than who asks who and where, Maggie. Sounds like you're getting a lot of them right.

      Delete
  2. The site of your proposal seems to have disappeared, Patsy. I was looking forward to it, too ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site crashed just after I posted, Frances. I'm fairly sure that was just coincidence.

      It's back now.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely spot! And an even lovelier memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sigh* How romantic. My father proposed to Mathair on the beach as the sun was going down. The ocean's so serene and breathtaking, it's impossible not to say yes to the right man when that scene is around you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Mind you I'd have accepted no matter where we were when he asked.

      Delete
  5. My husband proposed. To me on bended knee in a taverna in Samos - in front of both of our children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't rush into the marraige part of your relationship then? (Neither did we, we'd been together 11 years before he proposed)

      Delete
  6. How romantic. Time you wrote it into a story Patsy. Good luck with the collection competition. I'm glad short stories are making a comeback. Maybe because people are so busy... books are still popular with me though as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't do that, Suzy as I never ever write about anything Gary does. Definitely not. No.

      btw, he reads my blog, but not my stories.

      Delete
  7. If only my short story collection wasn't self-published. Lovely proposal spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely spot, annalisa. I want to go back.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!