Friday, 28 March 2014

Ghostly goings on

Do you believe in ghosts? I sort of do a bit. Ghost stories are another matter. I very firmly believe in them. They can be funny, romantic, scary or sad and are a great way to bring in historical or crime elements if you like to mix your genres.

Here's a ghost story competition. There's a top prize of £250, then two runners up will get £100. All the best entries will go in an anthology. Although the authors won't get paid, they will get £100 worth of books. Thanks to Suzy for telling me about this one. She found it over at The Busy Teapot. It's almost spooky the way these competitions get back to me!

Here's another competition for 'spine tingling' stories. There are good cash prizes and it's monthly so there are lots of chances, but it looks like submitted stories are all published on the site which probably means you wouldn't be able to submit any which didn't win anywhere else.

If tight deadlines don't scare you, take a look here.

Just like the stories, ghosts come in all shapes and sizes. This one is spherical!

20 comments:

Heather Holden said...

I most definitely believe in ghosts. Must be why I find ghost stories so fun to read! ;)

Teresa Ashby said...

I love ghost stories and I believe in ghosts x

Robert Crompton said...

Arch skeptic here - but always fascinated.

susanjanejones said...

I believe in ghosts, whoo hoo, what's that behind you..... Thanks for the mention.

Leandra Wallace said...

I love ghost stories- but sincerely hope I never meet one! Though your little round ghostie looks friendly enough. ;)

Patsy said...

They can be great fun, Heather. I prefer that kind to the scary ones.

Patsy said...

I wonder if real belief makes them any easier to write, Teresa? We probably do need to at least believe in the possibility.

Patsy said...

It's an interesting topic even for those who aren't totally convinced, Robert.

Patsy said...

Eeeek! Don't do that, Suzy. I nearly spilled my tea.

Patsy said...

I think friendly ghosts are as likely as nasty ones, Leandra.

Sai Charan said...

Not a bad idea at all to think of halloweeny elements at the start of this spring ;) In the photo looks like you've covered up a mini-version of the alien from E.T. Spielberg might consider making an E.T. sequel with this spherical ghost lol ;)

Have a great weekend Patsy! :)

inionnmathair said...

Love ghosts and ghosts stories. Mathair and I have quite a few under our belt and are always looking for more to write, read and listen to. ;)

Wendy's Writing said...

Don't believe in ghosts but have had a couple of ghost stories published.

Nas said...

I love reading ghost stories! All those spine-tingling chills...ah!

Patsy said...

You don't want to go encouraging The Sphere, Chran. He has a big enough head as it is.

Patsy said...

There's a lot og variety within the genre, so there a lot out there - and plenty more still to be written.

Patsy said...

It's good you can write convincingly even when unconvinced yourself, Wendy

Patsy said...

I don't mind a tingle, Nas but I don't like them too chilling.

Vikki said...

Stories about ghosts (both fiction and the so called 'real life' ones) fascinate me. I like to keep an open mind about these things...Thanks for posting info on the competitions

Patsy said...

That's about my attitude to ghosts, Vikki - interested and open to the possibility.