Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Aaargh me hearties!

To many people a pirate is an attractive scoundrel such as the one played by Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean, or they're one legged old codgers with an eye patch and parrot who always stuck to 'the code'. I'm not sure why they've become such considered such fun, romantic and honourable characters when piracy was, and still is, the action of very dangerous criminals. I doubt many of us would like to parlez with a Somalian pirate.

Pirating work is the act of infringing a person's copyright. This can be plagiarism, illegal downloads or reproduction of the work or using a picture you've found on the internet without permission of the person who took it.

Broadcasting without official permission is also known as piracy. I believe pirate radio stations were so named because the early ones broadcast from ships to avoid detection.

Gosh that wasn't very cheerful was it? I can't cheer you up with a picture of Captain Jack Sparrow as I've not taken one, so you'll have to make do with a link and these terrible jokes ...

What are a pirate's favourite pattern for jumpers?

Aaaarghgyle!

Why?

Because they aaaargh!

Where does he buy them?

He doesn't he steals them from Asdaaaaargh! (Or Walmaaaarght! in the U.S.)

14 comments:

  1. A fabulous post, Patsy, well done! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad puns!
    Pirates are just thieves. Like train robbers. Not sure when that became romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd isn't it, Alex how some crimes are seen to have an honourable or romantic side.

      Delete
  3. One of my small grandsons is obsessed with pirates. He has no idea what vicious criminals they are. Btw if the jokes are your own, well done! If not, groan.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were mine I wouldn't admit to it, Frances.

      Delete
  4. LOL! This is a fun post--no aaaarghuing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shiver me timbers, or something, Linda.

      Delete
  5. A John Bamfield was a pirate of the Caribbean in about 1665 - I like to think he was a direct ancestor but was almost certainly a relation of some kind being from the right part of the West Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you inherited a taste for rum, Lindsay?

      Delete
  6. The romantic version is much better than the real one. It wasn't until I went on the Golden Hind that I realised, Frances Drake stole all the fortunes he brought back for the queen. Yet he was knighted. I'm in the wrong job. Great link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was considered a privateer, Suzy - except by the people he stole from.

      Delete
  7. Must admit I like Johnny Depp hamming it up in the films - but then I like him in anything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!