Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Strapping

I took a break, from the story about a fireman I was writing, to look up a word for this post. Appropriately enough, strapping caught my attention. When referring to a person it means big and strong. Now I know firefighters come in various shapes and sizes as well as both sexes and are no less effective for that, but somehow when I see the trucks go by I imagine all the crew to be big strapping lads.

Strapping is also the action of using straps to fasten or secure something so it can't get away. If I imagined that sort of strapping in connection with firemen, I'd keep it to myself.

You'll note my plan to photograph actual firemen didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped ...

16 comments:

  1. I can see you are strapped to your chair writing this one Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should be, Maggie. Might get it done then.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I love the idea of a big strong handsome firefighter. Alas, most of the ones I see have big bellies... ;) Tho I am supremely grateful for them of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Next time, Alex? I don't know what you're suggesting about my research methods ...

      Delete
  4. Your story sounds good. Our Son's a fireman, he does get plenty of ladies. He's also a doorman at a night club. He's a protector of people, and really funny in an unusual way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sounds lovely, Suzy. I'm sure you're very proud of him.

      Delete
  5. Brave people, Patsy.
    I wonder what your story is about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, Julia. Well it's about a handsome fireman and there's a bad guy or two, plenty of action ... better get on with it really.

      Delete
  6. Love that word! Strapping! Very satisfying to say. And I love firemen too - heroes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good word, Teresa - and they're god guys and gals.

      Delete
  7. My brother used to be a fireman but I don't think he ever got the kind of attention they seem to attract at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or just didn't tell his sister in case he ended up in one of her books, Rosemary?

      Delete
  8. Couldn't you have got hubby to model as a fireman, Patsy? Let us know if you sell the 'strapping' story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I could talk him into that, Tracy.

      If I sell this one you'll definitely hear about it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!