Wednesday, 23 April 2014

You can bank on it

A bank is the sloping edge to a river or lake, a raised area of ground, or an elevation in the sea bed (eg a sand bank.) A bank can also be a garden feature, allowing trailing plants to be shown to advantage.

It can mean a financial establishment or the act of investing in one (all the money I earn from writing has been safely banked*) The bank is the person who holds the money in gambling games and premises (a bit like the previous definition then.) A banker is a person whose work involves money, and also an insult in rhyming slang.
*not really - I've spent it on books, cake ingredients and plants.

It's the way a race track slopes to help cornering at speed or a row of similar items such a bank of light switches. In the UK a bank holiday is a public holiday. A pilot may find himself banking (travelling with one side higher than the other) to help avoid flying through a fog bank.

Bank is used in several common expressions, usually to suggest reliability or good fortune. Getting a story acceptance will leave you laughing all the way to the bank. Getting rejections is something we can all bank on.

14 comments:

  1. I usually play the banker in Monopoly. Doesn't help though. I still lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously don't play it like a merchant banker, Alex.

      Delete
  2. I make too many trips to the bank to withdraw money and find myself banking around the turns in the road..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound good, Oscar. Hope you can bank on a few deposits soon.

      Delete
  3. I've heard motor biker's saying bank it over. Same as a pilot in a plane I suppose. Banking on some inspiration for my next story as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikes do lean when cornering, Suzy. I hadn't thought of it as banking, but I think you're right. Talking of corners, your next story idea is just round the next one.

      Delete
  4. Wow. I learned a lot from you today.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot food and seddbanks, Julia.

      Delete
  5. On our recent trip to London, my grandson and I were looking out for Banksy graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd recognise it if I saw it, Wendy.

      Delete
  6. My husband was a bank manager before he retired. When the weather's fine now, you can bank on him being in the garden instead of the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't is funny how "you can bank on it" means you can depend on it, when these days it seems like so many banks are not all that dependable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the phrase will get turned around, Linda.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!