Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Look at me!

Gosh I'm a super writer. You can read my stories in a multitude of magazines or download them from Alfie Dog or buy one of my books and what's more you jolly well should!

Er, sorry about that. I was just demonstrating what it's like to be bumptious. It means to be annoyingly confident and self-important. I'm not really like that am I, at least not all the time?

I know, we'll put it to a vote (that couldn't possibly go wrong, could it?) Is the picture appropriate because -

A) I'm looking jolly smug as I'd just won a poetry competition (which was ages ago and yes I'm still going on about it) or

B) Because of the location?

If you were to win a competition like this one, with its $5,000 grand prize I think you'd be entitled to be bumptious for a little while. Or maybe you'd like to try this one? No cash prize, but pretty good bragging rights.

24 comments:

  1. Ha ha - think that might have been me on the post before last on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, Wendy. There's a big difference between being pleased with our success and being totally bumptious about it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Patsy .. that would be B .. I'm guessing .. but you look stunning whether you feel bumptious or not!! Enjoy your writing and the summer ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a great summer, Hilary. Not doing that much writing at the moment, but I'm squeezing some in.

      Delete
  3. Bumptious...good word. I may work it into a novel...smile. But I'm better known for three-word-hyphenated adjectives. Wink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to go with what works for you, R Mac.

      Delete
  4. Bumptious. What an interesting word... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be because of the empty wine glasses Patsy, but I think the word is tipsy not bumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't all mine. Maggie - honest!

      Delete
  6. Great word - and definitely not you, Patsy! Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. Glad you don't think I'm bumptious.

      Delete
  7. Be bumptious! Celebrate your accomplishments. We work hard. I hate when I read someone saying that they get so annoyed by writers who are always posting their accomplishments. We should see every writer's accomplishment as good news because that means it can happen if you keep working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree we should celebrate our success, Stephanie. I like to hear about my writing friends' good news.

      Delete
  8. No you are definitely not that, Patsy! Lovely photo :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photo. Bumptious is a super word isn't it and I'm sure it doesn't describe you at all. I think it's lovely too to hear about fellow writers' successes. Lovely for them and encouraging for the rest of us x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the word! I too love hearing about others' successes and you're never bumptious, Patsy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like bumptious, and pompous, and bolshy, and blundering... you're to sassy and chicky bock to be any of those. But yes, everyone should buy your books. I've got Escape, and Garden path, and Mavis on kindle and not a drop, so lickety split everyone, get them in.... Just noticed, I'm missing year and a day aren't I? Will have to put that right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chicky bock? Not entirely sure what it means, Suzy but it sounds good.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!