Sunday, 15 June 2014

Wessex Tales

Max Gate is the house Thomas Hardy designed and had built after he'd sold a few of his novels. Garden pictures are here.

He felt his social status had gone up since his birth in a humble cottage where he'd lived with his mother who was a former servant. His new home reflected this.

While we were there a very charming man read some of Hardy's work, sang songs and played tunes which are mentioned in his novels.




I love the fact he had special windows fitted in his office, so he could look out at the garden. That's one of my favourite forms of procrastination too.

This seems an appropriate time for a reminder about this competition for a story set at, or inspired by, a historic house.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful house. I could definitely see myself writing at that desk, with that view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad place to work at all, Annalisa.

      Delete
  2. When I sell enough novels to build a house I shall have a garden like that - and a team of gerdeners to help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd need them for all the watering your garden would need, Lizy - unless you'll have a second home somewhere cooler and wetter?

      Delete
  3. I visited Max Gate last summer! I love the fact that it is built within the remains of an old stone circle. Do you think it gave him good vibes?
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly doesn't seem to have done him any harm, Alyson.

      Delete
  4. As I read your post I am sitting looking out at my gardens. My problem is, if I look too long I walk out and start searching for a weed to pull or a rock to move. Nice post, looks like a wonderful place to sit and ponder all kinds of stuff that people ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that myself, Neil. The garden is a real distraction as well as place of inspiration for me.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I love that house! I'll have to Google it to see if I can find more pics. And honestly, if I could have a superpower, it'd be the ability to wonder around all these old historical sites and no one stop me from poking my nose in wherever I wanted! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I think I may have that superpower, Leandra! I get to see a lot of interesting places at any rate.

      Delete
  6. Strange - as I was reading this, last night, a programme can on TV about this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a coincidence, Wendy. Was it interesting?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!