Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Libration

Libration is the apparent oscillation of a heavenly body (usually the moon) because the edges are coming in and out of view. I imagine it occurs more frequently after the viewer has taken a libation.

Hands up those who thought it involved drinking at the library. Oddly I didn't have a picture of me doing that, so here's one of me with The Sphere. Apparently he oscillates on windy days.

updated 18/12 - we're just back from a cruise. The ship very conveniently had a cocktail bar close to the library. I *may* have indulged ... It was for research though, obviously. Any minute I might need to describe the exacy taste of a White Lady, a Singapore Sling or a Brandy Alexander.

18 comments:

  1. The library doesn't have a stocked bar? Where's the fun in that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My one at home does. Well, I don't actually have a library, but I have a home with books and drink in it.

      Delete
  2. And I thought it had something to do with freeing a nation from a dictator. uh

    ReplyDelete
  3. My local library has a cafe. Does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea and cake are good with books, so I think so.

      Delete
  4. I take a large rucksack with me to the library. It has an array of secret compartments that house my 'goodies' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the local hotels does brilliant cocktails. The barman carves a banana into a dolphin, and hangs it on the side of the glass. So it's one of your five a day really. Just add book.

    Mind you, if you're having more than one, it had better be easy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the fumes smudge the ink and make it blurry, Sheila.

      Delete
  6. I saw the photo and misread the title - I thought it said liberation and you were going to say you'd set The Sphere free! I think I need to take more water with it :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sphere is free, Teresa. He keeps coming back though, so maybe he likes me?

      Delete
  7. As a librarian by trade, I can say there has been occasional libating at my library. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the many perks of being a writer is that you can enjoy all sorts of things under the heading of 'research'. Do let us know if the tax office allows you to claim for cocktails as a business expense. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cocktails might be pushing it, Linda but there's a case for claiming against other kinds of research.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!