Friday, 2 January 2015

La Palma with Sheila Crosby

A few weeks ago I went to La Palma and met up with my writing friend Sheila Crosby. She gave us a fantastic personal tour of the highlights of the Island including the observatory where she works, the volcanic crater, fantastic vertigo inducing scenery, the 'youths' at the very top of the Island, the local crows Sheila has partly tamed, the busy capital where historic balconies are home to amazing floral displays, horizontal water mines ...



It was my first visit to La Palma, but in a way Sheila had already taken me on a tour of the Island in her lovely book, The Seer's Stone. In it I read how the geography was formed from volcanic eruptions, about some of its political history and was introduced to a few of the people, plants and creatures who've made La Palma their home.

Oh and Mr Pock-Pock a rather sweet alien, Carmelo a talking crow and a thief stopping, cheese toasting dragon.





I really enjoyed reading Sheila's stories and I loved seeing a few of the places they were set. 
















The aliens and dragons have long since left La Palma, but Carmelo is still there and I met him! His beak looks terrifying, but he took food from my hand very gently.




Do you like our carefully synchronised mad red hair looks?













Having seen the island I fully understand why Sheila wanted to write about it.












And having been given a fascinating glimpse into the observatory, I see why she wanted to write about that too, in A Breathtaking Window on the Universe. 











Sheila writes Sci-fi as well. Again, I suspect La Palma and the observatory were contributing factors. There are some strange looking, and sounding, things up there!








16 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy - Happy New Year to you and Gary, and to Sheila .. yes her covers entice us in .. particularly the window into the Universe ... Good luck with all your writing and goals in 2015 .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. The books are definitely worth a look.

      Delete
  2. Amazing scenery and smashing photos. Lovely blue skies as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila claimed it wasn't a particularly good day weatherwise - that much cloud is unusual!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Patsy! What an awe inspiring place, captured perfectly in the pictures. Thank you for sharing. I think I will just pop that place on my 'must visit' list. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do go if you can, Nicola. It's a great place. I'll be going back as soon as I get the chance.

      Delete
  4. La Palma - one of seven islands of which Tenerife is another. The scenery is very like ours, so now you'll know what I'm talking about! Great photos as ever, and Happy New YEaear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have liked to visit Tenerife too, Lizy - no sure it'll be practical in the van.

      Delete
  5. I love the Canary Islands and I'm jealous! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely that you and Sheila were able to meet up. Wonderful photos and amazing scenery! Happy New Year, Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, Jan - your turn next!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm really looking forward to that but I can't guarantee the warm weather though!

      Delete
    3. It's been lovely weather every time I've gone to Wales, so if it's not I'm going to hold you personally responsible!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!