Wednesday, 4 February 2015

It's a good thing

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group time again.
If you're a writer and ever feel insecure, you might like to consider joining us.

I don't believe there are any writers who never, ever feel insecure. We all invest time and emotion in our work. We care about our characters and try to do our best for them. We want readers to enjoy our words, or to be moved, informed or caused to think. 

Wondering if we've done that, and if we can do it again, is bound to cause insecurities. But that's OK. Better surely than writing without interest and no thought to the end result?

Insecurities alone are no good though, we need hope to. If you hope to get your first romantic novel published you might like this competition. There's a cash prize of £500 as well as a publishing deal and other benefits. (I'll be posting lots more free to enter writing competition links over the next few weeks)


28 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy, maybe insecurities aren't so bad - they keep us on our toes!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we're not insecure a little bit, then we don't care enough, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good point, Patsy. Our insecurities show we care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. ... and because you write, you're insecure, Henry?

      Delete
  5. Yes, we all experience insecurity at one time or another, for a multitude of reasons. But hope is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly doubt there's a writer out there who hasn't experienced insecurities at one point or another. Great point :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been having negative thoughts about my current manuscript, I'm feeling quite daunted by the whole thing, but your post has just given me a jolt. This insecurity will pass...
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all get insecure. If we didn't, we'd probably be delusional thinking that everything is perfect. Maybe that doubt helps keep us grounded.

    February IWSG Co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we did think our writing was perfect we wouldn't take enough care, would we? I think you're right about the doubts keeping us grounded.

      Delete
  9. If we were secure, I don't think we'd be writers. There's a writer gene that's tied to the insecurity one. I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could well be right. Perhaps it's connected to us being imaginative?

      Delete
  10. Guess insecurity is a writer's occupational hazard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and a big bum!

      Er that's mine I'm talking about. I'm sure yours is lovely. Not that I'd go round staring ai it. Oh heck, I'm just making this worse and worse, aren't I?

      Delete
  11. Writing while struggling with doubt is a form of weight training. We grow through resistance. Best of fortune with your writing dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I deal with my insecurities through being persistent. Reading also helps me to deal with my own insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persistence and reading - one or the other is the answer to a lot of our difficulties!

      Delete
  13. Hope is definitely key to that forward momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get insecure just opening one of my current works. I always worry the words won't come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry they'll come, but be the wrong ones. Dolorah. Let's hope we're both worrying for nothing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!