Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Re-invent

Often I challenge you to use my Wednesday Word of the Week, but not this time. I'd like this one to vanish.

Invent is a word. It means to use thought to create and originate. The result is an invention, created by an inventive inventor. It could be a physical thing, such as a wheel, space ship or cake. It might be an idea, song or story.

Re-invent doesn't mean anything, or at least not anything good as far as I can tell. Re-inventing usually seems to involve taking something good and popular and messing it up. Favourite food products are re-invented with a 'new and improved' recipe meaning they're smaller, pricier and disgusting. Classic stories are re-invented as unconvincing, watered down versions of the original. Re-invention is so much not a thing, that I'm not even going to make the letters bold.

Ooops, Wednesday Word of the Week seems to have been re-invented as Wednesday Whinge of the Week! I'm right though ... aren't I?

19 comments:

  1. Like when they re-invented Coke back in the 80's and then had to switch it back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems no one has learned from their mistake, Alex.

      Delete
  2. ...but...you aren't going to tell me about your bridge? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the Bridge of Oich that is, Mac. I've written a story about it and the Bridge of Oich which isn't. It's quite a long story and includes part based on a real event in which I nearly died.

      Delete
    2. Oh, people who didn't have a near death experience in the area tend to just call it the Bridge of Oich.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely right, Patsy - especially regarding food. I get so annoyed when favourite recipes are re-invented and turn out much worse than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correct, as usual, but thanks for pointing it out. I will now add it to my list of banned words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good - I'll be checking you don't sneak it in anywhere, Linda. (You know, I thought this post was going to be a lot more controversial)

      Delete
  5. Most reinventions are not inventions, they are improvements or supposed to be. I'm with you, just forget the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, let's forget the word 'reinvention'. If invent means to create something new, you can't make it new again, so the word reinvent is redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why does something need to be reinvented? Original inventions should be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you're glad to get that off your chest! I agree with you - odd how a word we've ignored for ages suddenly jumps up and bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you tell I bashed the keys quite hard whilst writng it, Lizy?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!