Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Tribute

A tribute is a thing said, done or given as a mark of respect or affection. Followed by 'to' it's an indication of a praiseworthy quality (as an example, my dictionary gives 'their success is a tribute to their perseverance' which I particularly like). A tribute used to be how miners pay was calculated and could also mean a payment made by one state or ruler to another.

Tribute is also the make of our van (or do I mean model?)

Don't forget #writingchat tonight. The theme is 'what do you write?' and 'why?'

14 comments:

  1. Here in the USA, a Tribute is a small SUV made by Mazda. Or it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...coincidence...in the novel I was reading last night, my character was rushed to a Tribute, which I'd never heard of. Don't have 'em around these parts (that I've noticed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting facts about tribute. Cool about writingchat. I'll try to pop in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing chat looks like it'll be a regular thing now.

      Delete
  4. I like that bit about success due to perseverance - how true! I completely forgot about writing chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perseverence is not a guarantee, but it does help.

      Delete
  5. You hear about tribute bands all the time. Presumably they are giving a tribute to the band they admire by copying them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I missed your chat... Rissoles, will look out for the next one. I'm trying to improve my writing space and looking out for a nice (or stylish or antique or inspiring desk) I've always been a write anywhere kind of person m, I feel that a proper desk, in my writing room will help. I like to write escapism as real life can be a bit too real at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A proper writing space seems to help some people, Suzy. Hope it works for you.

      Delete
  7. Tribute sounds like an old western town. How would it be pronounced? Maybe like this:
    Tra-boot-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look out for your story, Trouble in Tra-boot-y, Oscar.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!