Wednesday, 2 September 2015

IWSG

Time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. If you're a writer who ever feels insecure, or
would like to support those of us with insecurities, then do join.

My insecurities this month aren't so much over the writing - that's actually going pretty well at the moment - but over marketing. Anyone who hopes to sell books, whether traditionally published or not, will have to get involved in the business of marketing. It's not a skill which comes naturally to many writers, me included.

I expect I'm further hampered by being British. Obviously there are exceptions, but we're generally not great at telling people we're awesome and we're reluctant to bother people. Standing in a corner mumbling, 'I've written a book but you probably won't be interested', isn't going to win over many customers, is it?

As I have written a fabulous (and fun) new book 'Firestarter' which I want people to read, clearly something had to be done. So I've taken a bravery pill and got started. One of my awesome* ideas was to send out a terrific newsletter. The first one has gone out and as far as I know nothing horrible happened as a result** ... If you'd like to sign up to get the next one, you can do it here.

Another wonderful initiative was to do a price reduction on an earlier novel. You can get the marvellous*** A Year and A Day for the wonderful bargain price of 99p/99c during the first week of this month. That's NOW!

What do you think, am I on the right track? Have I overdone it, or is there more I could do?

*the italics are so I can pretend I'm being ironic and/or it's someone else saying it.

** ooops, went all British again there.

*** Actually it's not terrible. Some reviewers gave it 5 stars.

31 comments:

  1. Loved your newsletter! Hope 'Firestarter' is a flaming success. I certainly enjoyed the early chapters, read while it was in draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine.

      It's got a little hotter since then (especialy chapter 15!)

      Delete
  2. It's definitely a British thing, Patsy, and one we have to overcome! Well done on those two great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to imagine doing it with a foreign accent, Rosemary.

      Delete
  3. Great ideas for marketing. Good luck on your book release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patsy- it's a British thing regrettably .. it's a matter of being British once again and saying let's get it done .. and then we forget we're British just a writer promoting their book.

    The newsletter was fun .. and well done ... there are lots of ideas out there for marketing - but it's taking the bull by the horns and doing it ... take care and pluck up the British courage and just do - can you serialise one in the local paper?... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. I'm trying a little of everything to see what works.

      Delete
  5. Ugh. I hate marketing too. Good luck! Your ideas sound wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing something, which is better than nothing.
    Did I sign up for your newsletter? I'll make sure I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex.

      I've made the mistake of doing nothing before. Almosy anything has to be an improvement on that.

      Delete
  7. I am not sure If I signed up for your newsletter. I will check. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing great. Marketing makes me stressed too. But then, I'm Canadian, so I'm too polite to be really pushy about it! *LOL* Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canadian is probaby the same as British when it comes to this kind of thing, Christine.

      Delete
  9. I think marketing brings out the British in all of us. *cringe* Sounds like you're on the right track though. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charity.

      There are some people who actually seem to like it!

      Delete
  10. Doing a sale on a previous story is always a good idea. Especially right before the new book comes out. It'll attract more people.

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I received a copy of the NL. Hope all goes well with the marketing. I think yhou are off to a fine start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck promoting your new book.....and hope that bravery pill works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marketing is difficult, no matter where you're from. It's because it's not writing.
    So...where can I get these bravery pills? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very different skills, Lynda.

      Maybe I should offer the pills free with every book? Or would that imply they were needed to read it?

      Delete
  14. I think you are going in the right direction, Patsy. You are definitely not over-doing it. Keep up the great work. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just have to bite the bullet and do it, don't you, Patsy. When I brought out my story collections, the marketing was definitely the worst part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sensibly given myself a bit of time with this one. In the past I've waited until the day before it's released and it's more stressful to do stuff in a mad rush.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!