Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Cusp

Nice word cusp. Can't think why it isn't used more. It's not as though it doesn't have many uses.

A cusp is a pointed end where two points meet. This could be part of a tooth (pre molars are bicuspid as they have two pointy bits) or an architectural or biological feature. Eg the top of a gothic arch, a leap point or part of the valves in our hearts.

If a mathmatical curve reverses abruptly that change is marked by a cusp and cusp is also the name given to the pointed ends of a new moon.

Cusp can also denote a transition of some kind. Those who's birth sign is on or near the end of a period are said to be on the cusp. Eg if your birthday is on 20th March you're on the cusp of Pisces and Aries (what that means I haven't a clue!) Teenagers are sometimes considered on the cusp of adulthood (as are middle-aged writers!)

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. I've forgotten which cathedral this is. Glasgow maybe?

      Delete
  2. Hi Patsy - cusp is a good word ... I hadn't twigged about the pre-molar aspect .. bicuspid ... and yes the cusp always occurs for those born in the 2nd third of the month ... heaven help the teenagers and their cusp! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a little word, so many uses, Hilary.

      Delete
  3. I've always liked the word cusp, but it took me until maths 1 at university to see a visual and understand where the figurative meaning of cusp comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess to not understanding the mathmatical use of the word, Misha.

      Delete
  4. I think teenagers are just completely over the edge...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. Interesting word, and always preceded by "on the", isn't it. Nothing is ever over or under or beside the cusp. I wonder why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that, Frances but yes, you're right.

      Delete
  6. The writer was on the cusp of fame and fortune ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great word! It reminds me of my mother - a woman who was fascinated by astrology. I learned this word from her when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll drink a couple cusp of coffee to that. (Tee-hee-hee.) Nice pic! I'm on the cusp of finishing my novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the cusp of getting some work done, Oscar.

      Delete
  9. You know, it is a nice word to say. It slithers off the tongue so neatly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!