Sunday, 6 December 2015

£20 a word?

The winner of this competition will be paid £20 a word! There are slight downsides in that entries may only be 100 words long and sort of give up copyright*, but I'm not going to
let them stop me charging into action.

*Terms and conditions state you give up copyright, but in the questions RD state -

 "No matter what happens in the competition you can still promote, share or publish your work however you like. The copyright T&Cs are only in place to show that you have agreed to have your work published by Reader's Digest should you win the competition." 

and

"Hello, this is because we will be publishing them across our media - so in print, the app, and online. We may also wish to publish some of the best ones in future editions."

Slightly confusing. I take it as meaning that entrants give them non exclusive copyright.

12 comments:

  1. £20 a word - not bad ... and I'd be buckled up and on my way with my verbage ... I'm sure I'd get the instructions wrong and flunk out any way ... good luck to someone though - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're giving up your rights should they publish is elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not terribly clear, Alex but certainly seems we'd have to srrender first rights.

      I wish these competitions would stick to requesting the rights they actually want and not just through in a load of other stuff because they haven't really thought through what they need.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Excellent start, justt 99 more to go, Mac.

      Delete
  4. The man on the unicorn is ready to charge into it, but I will think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of time to work yourself up to it, Oscar.

      Delete
  5. I can afford to give away rights to 100 words for £2k - thanks Patsy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a lot per word. Might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!