Friday, 15 January 2016

Musselling in

A man called John Coyle reckons there aren't many poems about the humble mussel. I think he could be right - but possibly not for long. There's a €250 prize on offer for the best one in this competition and €100 for second place.

If I knew anything about mussels and could write poetry, I'd definitely have a go. Maybe I will anyway. If I had a photo of a mussel I'd have used it to illustrate this post. But I don't, so I haven't. Unless there are some in Dublin Bay, in which case I have.

12 comments:

  1. I know nothing about muscles except that they are a type of fishy thing that taste disgusting :) I did learn a lot about oysters by reading The Oyster Catcher by Jo Thomas. A lovely read. Wishing you a relaxing weekend Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know how they taste, Nicola. I'd rather read about oysters than find out!

      Delete
  2. Hi Patsy - love mussels ...but can't write poetry! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a slight snag when it comes to a poetry competition, Hilary. I don't always let it stop me having a go though.

      Delete
  3. I know a bit about mussels - but I'm not very good at poetry! This sounds like a fun competition though :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mussel, mussel,
    hustle, bustle,
    greet 'em, eat 'em.

    Oh well, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's better than anything I've come up with, Oscar.

      Delete
  5. Don't think I could get excited over a mussel, but love the photo. I might be able to write a poem about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write it, Maggie and I'll try to find you a competition for it.

      Delete
  6. I think Oscar might have a winner. We have fresh water mussels here, not sure if anyone eats them. Wonder if anyone would read a poem about mussel's.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!