Tuesday, 2 February 2016

On fire!


The Nottingham Writers' Club national competition (which I'm judging) is now open. The competition aims to encourage less experienced writers, so the rules state 'please don't enter if you've earned £300 or more from short story writing during 2015'. The theme is fire. Handily I have a book cover I can use to illustrate that ...

This one isn't free, but you will get a few lines of feedback from the first readers on every entry, which I think is easily worth £5. Winners also get feedback from me. Plus there are cash prizes and publication of the top three.

Talking of winning ... you may remember I was one of two winners in the Soundworks competition. My story has now been recorded. Click on Uncle Mick to listen to it (if you like - there won't be a test or anything).

Soundworks are running another free competition. You have until the end of April to send in your entries.

15 comments:

  1. Looking forward to listening to your story, Patsy. Thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patsy - that's great you're judging ... I'm sure I've got a contact up there .. oh and I can listen to your story .. will do - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading some good stories, Hilary.

      Delete
    2. Hi Patsy ... listening to the story now - good actress's voice giving dialect and body to your story .. love the story line. The blogger I know and met down here is Pam McIlroy ... enjoy the judging though ... cheers Hilary

      Delete
  3. Well done you Mrs Judge! It will be really interesting hearing how hard/easy you found it in making decisions about the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pity my OWC entry is only 199 words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the NWC competition mention, Patsy.

    I will definitely be listening to your winning story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good competition! I'll have to check this out :D

    Sarah Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll get to read your entry then, Sarah.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!