Thursday, 11 February 2016

Scottish retreat

The George Burn Prize is a cheque for £5,000 plus the option of a writing retreat of up to three months in Scotland. I very much like the sound of that and not just because it makes it easy to pick a photo to go with this post.

The judges are looking for "...novels which dare to enter history and interrogate the past; writers of non-fiction brave enough to recast characters and historical events to create a new and vivid reality. Literature which challenges perceived notions of genre and makes us think again about just what it is that we are reading."

Anyone glancing through one of my first drafts is likely to think, "What the heck am I reading?" Do you think that's what they mean?


18 comments:

  1. That made me chuckle!
    The retreat alone would be worth winning that contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three months in Scotland sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Liz. I might just go for it in the van.

      Delete
  3. Wow, three months! That would be lovely- wish I could go that long w/out needing to generate a paycheck, heh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The £5,000 would help a bit, Leandra. (I could live longer on less than that)

      Delete
  4. I don't know...but I love the shot you selected :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to drive a few miles down a very narrow and windy road to get there, Mac but I think it was worth it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Patsy - gosh three months of writing retreat - but the prize would be good. I feel sure your book will fall into place shortly and find its slot .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd get much more writing done, Hilary - but I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Amazing prize, isn't it? Shame I don't write novels! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a distinct disadvantage in this competition, Susan - although a collection of travel articles would challenge my notions of all novel genres!

      Delete
  7. Sounds complicated, but your pic is idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was as lovely there as it looks, Oscar.

      Delete
  8. Good prize, but 3 months on any retreat would drive me nutty- I need people, shops, and life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to retreat entirely either, Carol. After a few hours writing, I'd need to go out and look at castles, eat cake, visit writing buddies - all the important stuff.

      Delete
  9. Interesting. Novels which 'novels which dare to enter history and interrogate the past'? I'm writing a historical novel but I'm trying not to write a history book 'interrogating' anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound as though the result would be challenging to read, Rosemary. (result of writing to their requirements, I mean - not your novel)

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!