Sunday, 3 July 2016

Guest Post by Charlie Britten

Today I have a guest post by Charlie Britten (who in real life is Rosemary Johnson)

One of the best things about Patsy’s blog is the free writing competitions which she finds for us every week.  Comps are great for new writers, and not-so-new writers, struggling to get their work out there, but, although the individual fees for each competition may not be steep - £5 here and £10 there – if you enter a lot of comps, it can mount up.  

I enter a lot of comps because I need to find markets for my short stories and I’m planning shortly also to get my Nano novel into shape for novel and first page comps.  I’m also (unpaid) Competitions Manager for the Association of Christian Writers.  Our current ACW comp is almost free.  In fact, it’s a snitch at £3 for a first entry and £2 for subsequent entries.  All you need to do is write a thousand words (1000), fiction or non-fiction, about someone (or several people) putting Christian ethos into practical action.  The first place prize is £20, second place £15 and third place £10.  All three winners will also receive a Street Pastors mug and the winning entry will be considered for publication in Christian (our ACW quarterly magazine.  For more details, visit http://www.christianwriters.org.uk/competitions

You don’t have to be a Christian to enter.  Anyway, who could check, apart from Him upstairs?  And He’s not one of the judges (of this writing comp anyway).  The comp judges are actually a professional editor and published author of short stories (and, no, I’m not naming names).  

In my ACW role, I’ve discovered that there aren’t many Christian writing comps this side of the pond.  There are loads in North America, although some of them tend to be pricy, even if they do present big prizes, and some adopt a political stance which British Christians are not comfortable with.  So I feel ACW is filling a gap in the market, and we’re hoping to develop it.


I really enjoy blogging, on writing, the books I’m reading and occasionally on everyday life, at https://charliebritten.wordpress.com.  Do drop in.


12 comments:

  1. It's nice to see there are Christian writing competitions. You're right, only He would know who is who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to writing competitions there does seem to be something for everyone, Alex.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the post, but my writing is too immoral to be called Christian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure mine is immoral, Oscar - it isn't Christian either though. Still, be dull if we all wrote the same stuff wouldn't it?

      Delete
  3. Very interesting - although I'm not sure how a non-Christian can legitimately write about putting Christian ethos into practical action. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a bigger stretch than writing as a member of the opposite sex, or about the past or the future, Susan?

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your post, Charlie - I can imagine most of such comps are across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that's the case too, Rosemary.

      Delete
  5. Hi Charlie, nice to hear a little about you, and your Christian writing competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising how much we can learn about people via blogging isn't it, Maria?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the welcome, everybody, and for your comments. To answer the point about non-Chrisitans writing about Christian ethos, I believe that anyone who has been helped and supported by Street Pastors (who are promoting this comp with us) would be very equipped to write about practical Christianity. Btw, I'm sending this post in my real name as Google won't let me post as my Wordpress blogger self.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!