Monday, 8 August 2016

Inspiringly spireless

We had a fascinating visit to Ripon Cathedral. There's a good mix of architectural styles and historical periods, from a crypt underneath dating through the 600s to the 'modern' font added in Tudor times to coloured statues created only last century.








The guide who chatted to me for a while passed on several pieces of information which I'd love to include in a story some time.











I'm not the only one to have seen story potential. A former canon's son C.S Lewis noticed a carving in the misericords of a rabbit being chased by a gryphon and disappearing down a hole. He later wrote Alice in Wonderland.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy - I love those Misericords .. beautiful carvings. Ripon - I've never visited ... it looks to be so interesting .. thanks for highlighting for us - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! Architecture totally fascinates me. My poor husband used to get dragged around neighborhoods while I examined the different approaches builders took. The old stuff, that's where it's at. Brilliant engineering with limited tools. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We often visit Ripon but have never been in the cathedral. It is now on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Ripon catehdral, but it definitely looks worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!