Thursday, 18 August 2016

The Venerable Bede




After a very early start in South Shields, we visited the remains of St Paul's monastery in Jarrow.


 
This was once home to the Venerable Bede. Aged seven, Bede joined a monastery and dedicated his life to scholarship, prayer and the keeping of records. He lived from 673 - 735. Not many people were writing things down then, so his work is still important today.

I doubt I'll ever be as well known in my lifetime as he is thirteen centuries after his death - but I'm OK with that.

8 comments:

  1. You know what, I'm all right with that as well. I'd rather the IWSG become my legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that'll be part of it, Alex. You've started something good.

      Delete
  2. never figured out what the one photo had to do with the others...but I always love a sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sunrise taken on the day we visited the V. Bede, Mac.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a very early start - beautiful photo. And lovely too of the remains of the monastery :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patsy - what a lovely place to visit ... and you've made me add it to my list - I've seen Lindisfarne, but Bede always intrigues ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do go to that area, visit Tynemouth Abbey too, Hilary.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!