Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Are you ready?


I'm back from my travels. There was some post waiting ..

Once I've dealt with that, I'll be sorting through my photos and sharing *a few*. Are you ready for that?






"When do you know your story is ready?" is this month's Insecure Writer's Support Group question.

I think this is something which becomes instinctive over time. At least that seems to have been the case for me. 

When I first started writing, what I thought were finished stories were really just tidied up first drafts. I got lucky with a few, but soon realised that putting in a bit more effort would improve my chances. For a while that meant I rewrote stories over and over trying to get them perfect. That's OK in theory, but there's always something else which can be changed. I've gradually learned to spot when I'm just making changes and not actually improving the story.

The key is to make the particular piece of writing the best YOU can at that time. Maybe others would write it differently, perhaps even better, but if you've done your best, it's time to stop tweaking and send it on its way.


22 comments:

  1. Best at that moment - good advice. A year later it won't be, but it just needed to be great at the time.
    Have fun sorting all of that mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - if we're doing it right we'll keep getting better!

      Delete
  2. All that mail! Someone is popular! Looking forward to seeing the photos from your travels.

    I am still somewhat in the habit of sending out polished early drafts. Especially if I think they're more polished than usual--it usually just means it was a longer story than the last one, and so it took more time. Great advice, Patsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either popular or we've been away a long time, Bonnee!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back. Good luck with the post :) Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom. The learning curve is a long but worthwhile one). Congrats for your latest publications! Great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patsy - oh yes, coming home can throw up other issues ... lots of lovely letters - or bills ...

    Good luck with all your new books and ideas ... and welcome back! - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many bills, Hilary - we got all those online!

      Delete
  5. I think all of us want to quit and sometimes do after a nice polish of the first draft. Editing is not much fun, I agree with your point about making changes without improving the story, I am a true expert at that. As far as the huge pile of mail, I would put it in a box and hope someone else (my wife) goes through it and sorts out what I need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like editing, Neil - well, the first few pases when I know for sure that I'm improving things.

      Delete
  6. That's a huge pile of mail! Hope there's some good stuff in there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right. All we can do is our best. It's probably better than we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for us to be objective, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I'm absolutely convinced that the best way to learn is to make something the best you can, finish it, and move on to the next project. I have some long-term obsession-projects from the past that prove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moving on to the next thing is important, I think, Karen.

      Delete
  9. So true about doing the best you can right then. That's what I've learned too. I always look back, thinking I could've done better, but it's better to just move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good advice, Patsy. What a lot of mail - but bring on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of it was junk, Rosemary (hadn't realised we had so many pizza places round our way!)

      Delete
  11. Your advice is spot on. Do the best then let it go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!