Thursday, 17 November 2016

Do as I say

Unless you're very new to this blog, you'll have read my encouragement to enter writing competitions. I do think it's a good idea, especially when they're free to enter as most of those I blog about are. That doesn't mean I always get around to taking part myself. This summer I hardly entered any.


To be fair to myself I was busy writing a non-fiction book and putting together a short story collection. Oh and touring in the van for three months... Even so, I decided to put things right and fire off a few stories.

Although I haven't won anything (yet) I'm pleased I bothered. I've had a couple of mentions, including one in Writer's Forum and I have some new stories which I might be able to place elsewhere.

What about you? Have you entered any competitions? Do you have any good news to share?

13 comments:

  1. Mentions are still good. Besides, it's all good practice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to enter the Writers' Forum comps, but I failed to send one off for Halloween. I thought it was a difficult subject so well done you. I don't even understand what they want this month from the Fibonacci theme. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subtle sequences? I'm not sure I can do subtle, but I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I do have news to share with you and your readers. My collection of short stories is now available on amazon.com and kindle. The title is Western Stories and may be of interest to some of the reading public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't entered any for a while. Like you, I got a mention in Writing Magazine for a ghost story I wrote back in 2014 (I was chuffed to see my name in print :)). I must make more of an effort next year. I love the pictures of the pink flowers - very cheery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found sending some in does improve our chances considerably, Nicola.

      Delete
  5. Hi Patsy - recognition and acknowledgement are good ticks in the mental box ... good for you - creativity abounds as you travel ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I commend you daily. Does that work for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For anyone who's here for the first time... I can confirm, without even a sliver of even the slightest chocolate cake, that Patsy is my tip-top encouragement guru!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!