Saturday, 31 December 2016

Food for thought

For this competition you're invited to submit a piece of specualative fiction* which explores one or more philosophical ideas.

You have 1,000 to 7,500 words and until the 1st February to do that. So far I'm in, but then it gets tricky. They also want a 'Food for Thought' section, explaining the philosophical ideas behind the story. Helpfully there are a couple of examples to refer to.

There's a prize of $500, publication in Sci Phi Journal, and although they don't mention this, I imagine there will also be buckets of kudos.

*"this includes, but is not limited to, science fiction, fantasy, horror, alternative history, or magical realism".

Fancy a cheese straw to help give you the strength to tackle this one?

12 comments:

  1. Love cheese straws, but the thought of diving into philosophy with a New Year hangover? Perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A clear head would be a good idea, I think, Liz.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very interesting if I could get my brain in thinking order again, Patsy! Wishing you and Gary all the best for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary.

      Interesting - but not easy!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you and Gary, Patsy.x

    That picture is making me hungry! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey Patsy, I had to read your post twice. It sounds mighty complicated, but I'm actually tempted to take a look!
    Happy new Year to you and Gary X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering it too, Maria. I'm hoping that because it sounds hard, entries might be low.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for always keeping us informed of writing contests, Patsy. And Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!