Wednesday, 25 January 2017

Portent

Despite how it sounds, a portent isn't anything to do with camping under two sticks and a bin liner...

A portent is a sign or omen. Storm clouds may gather portentously on the horizon.

Something which is like, or serves as, a portent is portentous. Anyone coming to this blog for the first time might consider the opening line of this post a portentous warning, especially if they're not fond of really terrible puns.

Another meaning of portentous is pompously solemn. Don't think anyone can accuse me of that.

14 comments:

  1. That first line made me laugh - rather a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolly good!

      You do realise I'm taking that as permission to add lots more terrible puns to my posts?

      Delete
  2. I portent ta be a cool dude when I see an attractive woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two sticks and a bin liner? You were spoiled - our tablecloth wasn't even water proof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. The pun master strikes again. Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just can't help myself, Crystal.

      Delete
  5. I'm sitting by the poolside in India looking at portentous storm clouds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the clouds have drifted safely by now, Rosemary.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!