Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Write boldly

The James White Award is an annual science fiction competition. For a short story of between 1,000 and 6,000 words, they're offering £200 plus publication. This competition is only open to non professional authors, but this is defined in an unusual* way, so check the rules before entering.

*Despite being a full time writer, I'm eligible (if you discount the fact that I don't actually write sci-fi that is).

They're taking a broad definition of what science fiction means. What does it mean to you?

8 comments:

  1. Like your ears.
    So, I might even qualify after four books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on their genre, Alex - I think you'll luck out.

      Delete
  2. That's a really interesting question. I love SF and read a lot of it. I guess it should be defined as taking place in the future or in the present if it's an alternate universe (like dystopian or apocalyptic). The plot should include science (and characters' attitude toward it) that makes it impossible to transfer the story to any other genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having some science in it does sound a logigal requirement, Lexa.

      Delete
  3. Little Red Riding Hood, what big ears you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fictitious ones make up for the titchy ones I have in reality, Oscar.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!