Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Engross

I knew that engross meant to fully occupy, as in 'she was so completely engrossed in the Paint Me A Picture that she missed her stop and was late for work*'. What I hadn't realised was that there are two other definitions.

Engross can mean to make a 'fair copy' of a legal document or to reproduce something in a larger format.

Have you ever been involved in any kind of engrossment? Please tell me if you have, as I'm sure I'll find the details engrossing.

*I'm told this actually happened to someone. She's since bought other of my books, so I think I'm forgiven.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy - Paint Me a Picture is a good read - I enjoyed it.

    Engrossing - fascinating example of a word that's changed meaning and one that has more than one meaning ...

    cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary - I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Bet that made you feel good to know your book was that engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to get used much, Rosemary.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!