Wednesday, 7 June 2017

Secure for sea!

It's the first Wednesday of the month, so time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. It's also nearly time for Gary and I to head off for another adventure in our campervan (which I think gives me an excuse to post a few pictures of the last one!)

As I was loading up the van, it occurred to me there are similarities with writing. Gathering together everything we want to take is rather like getting the first draft down.

As things are packed away, I'm likely to realise there are items I've forgotten and I may well have duplicate items, or stuff which won't be needed for that particular trip. Putting it right is similar to editing our story.


Once everything is in (which might require cutting down to just the essentials if I've written/packed too much) we have to ensure everything is 'secure for sea'. That's the phrase Gary uses to mean that nothing is going to fall or break during our travels – which often do include ferry crossings. The writing equivalent is double checking the address to send our work to, whether it needs to be in a particular format, making sure we've included everything we should and nothing we shouldn't.



What do you do to ensure your story is ready for its journey from your keyboard to the desk of the editor, publisher or competition judge?







Would you like to see pictures from the next trip?

24 comments:

  1. Great analogy, Pasty. Although a real journey sounds a bit more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing is fun too, Alex - though in a different way.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your journey, Patsy and do share your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off again, Patsy? Have a great time, and don't write too hard, secure for sea or not. And btw, I've also joined the IWSG - see my first post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patsy - I think we should see the pictures from your next trip - it'd be great if you'd jot down where they are though ... the dolmen, for instance ... the lighthouse ... but yes please - cheers and then I'll be 'secure for seeing'!! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the pictures are from Wales, Hilary. The stones are Pentre Ifan and the Lighthouse is on Strumble Head.

      Delete
  5. Always share pictures. I love to see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to "meet" you, Patsy! Making my rounds as an IWSG admin this month.

    Those pictures are gorgeous! Of course I'd like to see more. Where were they taken, and where are you headed now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too!

      The pictures were taken in Wales. Our next trip will include France and Scotland (they're in different directions, but I don't let stuff like that worry me.)

      Delete
  7. Hi Patsy. Been awhile since last visit. That sounds like fun. We have a little camper we take out sometimes.
    True about getting a piece ready for publication, but I hate all the scraps of paper (my to-do list) I gather in the process. A bad habit. Better to keep on the computer in one place. Recently bought SmartEdit and like how it tracks overused words and phrases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another campervanner! Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

      Delete
  8. I think a story is ready when it means something to you and you feel complete with it regardless of how it's perceived elsewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something in that, Mark – we can only know how we feel, not guess at the reactions of others.

      Delete
  9. You're right! It is pretty similar. Funny. I LOVE this campervan you have. How fun! I want one!! Lol :)

    www.jessicatherrien.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a great place to write – and have fun.

      Delete
  10. That's a great analogy, love it! Have a wonderful trip.

    IWSG June

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the analogy. Just as you enjoy your trip, enjoy this crazy journey (of writing) we're all on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!