Friday, 7 July 2017

Tangling with Scott

Here's another of the places we've visited on our trip which has a literary connection. Dryburgh Abbey is the final resting place of Sir Walter Scott.


His tomb is behind the red and white sign on the right in this photo. (The other is for Field Marshall Douglas Haig.)

Scott wrote the lines "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" I wonder if he was thinking about plotting his novels at the time? I certainly manage to get some of my outlines into tangled webs.

8 comments:

  1. If he'd plotted novels, I'm sure he would've thought that.
    Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shouldn't all plots mull about a tangle of subplots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Patsy, but I could never cope with Scott's novels. And I thought that quote came from Hamlet, so I've learnt something today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have used that quote in my first Regency novel, Patsy, but I've still to visit that venue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing.

    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patsy - lovely photos - and seeing Dryburgh Abbey is a great find for me - when (ever) I get to go north ... love the colours ... Scott is an author I really should get to grips with ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always amazes me that those seemingly unsupported walls stay up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!