Monday, 6 November 2017

Less privileged?

This competition is for a  'talented writer from a less-privileged background who is in need of financial assistance in order to be able to join one of Curtis Brown Creative’s six-month novel-writing courses'.
To be eligible, you'll need to be on an income of under £23,000 (or £30,000 if you live with someone) and you won't have had two parents who both went to university.

Hmmm, by that definition I'm VERY underpriviledged as neither of my parents went to uni, and my writing isn't bringing in as much cash as that. Odd, as I think I was lucky in my upbringing and I'm very happy with my current lifestyle. 


7 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy - catering for the people of today I guess ... my parents did start Uni - but the war intervened ... my father finished. But I agree income levels are low - but I'm happy with life ... still this is a great opportunity for someone - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it seemed very 'glass totally empty' when there's still an almost full bottle of wine to hand. It seems sometimes that people are encouraged to feel hard done by, just because others are better off, than because they're truly underprivileged.

      Delete
  2. That's a rather unusual criteria, Patsy - not sure I'd even want to enter it if relevant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is unusual. I'm sure it makes perfect sense to those who set it up.

      Delete
  3. There'll be plenty of people to qualify without me adding my name to the list. Pension income negligible, neither parent uni-educated. You look very comfy in your spotless travel-study.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!