Wednesday 19 July 2017

Guddle

I've been adding a few Scottish words to my vocabulary during my travels. I was introduced to guddle by Rosemary Gemmell. In the context she used it, guddle means a mess (as in an untidy room – and no she wasn't describing the interior of our van!) and/or a complex and confusing situation.

guddle is also a type of fish which can be caught by guddling. The guddling is done with bare hands so quite messy and the word apparently derives from making a mess around water – which is handy for me, as I've recently taken photos of various watery subjects in Scotland.



9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's another fine guddle you've gotten us into!
Why would you try catching a fish by hand? Just go to the store and buy one.

Carolb said...

I'll have to use guddle when I tell my kids to tidy up their room.

Great pictures as expected- especially the rushing water one.

Nick Wilford said...

I've been introduced to lots of great words like this since living in Scotland, so I don't look glaikit when I hear them any more. Never heard of the fish use though. At least the guddling approach saves on fishing gear!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I wonder if it is related to muddle. Love the pix

Lindsay said...

At work, we use 'guddle' as a verb when we're poking either endoscopes or spatulas around in people's mouths and throats! (We are speech/language/voice/swallowing therapists, in case anyone is concerned by that statement!)

Maria said...

I really like that word, it rolls off the tongue.

Jackie Sayle said...

Maybe 'guddle' is a melding of 'gurt' and 'muddle', as in, 'Look at t'state of thy room! It's a gurt muddle.'

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Patsy - Guddle is good ... fun word with many a meaning and that's helpful ... I really wouldn't mind guddling in one of those rivers with the sun on my back ... sounds fun! Cheers Hilary

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Glad you liked that word, Patsy - we're not so much in a guddle now, thankfully! Great photos as always.